Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for some ideas to cover my passport if I want to leave it on the dock a little since I'm going to use alot. I mostly store it in
the covered carport out of the sun and rain. I have to roll it out to the dock and down a couple of steps to the position where I launch it from
so would like to leave it there sometimes to make easier to launch and go.
I have a Flambeau box on it I would like to leave and cover it too. I would take all poles etc sticking up and fold over seat and cover it too.
I don't think Hobie covers are made to cover box etc.
Might just have to get a tarp of some type and wrap over it. Maybe have a boat cover guy sew me a custom one from Sunbrella some day :)
But in the meantime I need some ideas for covering it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it is short term - ( a day or two) I would just go for an appropriately sized/folded (maybe some unseen duct tape hems?) basic tarp, some tarp clips and bungees from your local box store versus $custom anything. (Maybe everyone knows about tarp clips - but I just discovered a couple years ago and I think they have to be one of the top five non-technology inventions of recent years)

what is your definition of a lot of use and is it hot on your dock launch? I ask because if it is hot or storing for more than a day I would go thru the trouble of flipping it so you don't have any warping. I left mine in a completely shaded area for a couple summer days to find a slight deformity on bottom where it was resting. Also think a cover or tarp might add some heat, and even upside down in extreme heat could do some damage. That being said, I forgetfully leave mine right side up in a cooled garage for weeks at a time with no currently noticeable problems. I know from experience that a couple days right side up can easily turn into a couple weeks; So maybe just be mindful of that if you are storing on dock.

Flip it and store inside if you can. Mine, so far (less than a year) seems surprisingly resilient, but I baby it when I remember.

Sounds like you have a great setup - have fun! (I'm going to go flip my passport over now)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found one that work fine.