Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:( Hobie Passport 10.5 Kayak
Buyer be mindful
I was not happy when in February 2022 I purchased my new Passport 10.5 Kayak from my local Hobie dealer in Adelaide only to have it defective.
Hbbie’s pedal drive is high quality & works great but the quality of the Hobie Kayak is nowhere near what I expected. After using it twice & loving it, I turned it over for a clean only to see two friction marks in the hull near the pedal drive hole along with similar marks & deep scratches in the scupper holes. These defects could not have been caused by me. Being a new kayak I had been very careful when launching & retrieving & I never use the scupper holes as I have a sit on top trolly for transport to the waters edge. My mate checked his Hobie Passport 10.5 after seeing mine & has similar marks. It was very clear that the marks have been caused during the manufacturing process.
As a result, I discussed the defects with my local dealer & he passed the information on to Hobie for comment. Hobie’s resolution was that they would register the defects but said it was not a warranty issue.
I am really not trying to be difficult but it seems Hobie are now offering substandard kayaks & expecting to get away with this. I have learned my lesson the hard way & will not be spending my hard earned money again on any Hobie item only to have it defective.
If you are thinking of buying a Hobie kayak, check it carefully before you hand over any money. In addition, be aware that Hobie do not acknowlege there warranty’s on defected kayaks. Not mine anyway. ☹

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a little confused as you said "After using it twice & loving it" - so I am assuming there were no defects at purchase. Are you sure you and your mate didn't cause a couple scratches?

As a relative newbie I am hating the gouges I have caused, but with the construction I have never encountered any problems (my hull seems thick enough to withstand deep scratches)
In a way it makes me feel more comfortable to have impermeable scratches should I stupidly graze an oyster bed.

If you have looked into this forum, you would see that people waited over a year to get their yak. A few marks on your yak coming from oversees during this time of limited supply (have you tried to buy a dishwasher lately?) shouldn't discourage you as long as the performance isn't affected.

Hope you have a good time on it! I love my passport 12!