Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hobie Mirage Lynx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Sorry Sir... It is simply not always possible to get personal support from a manufacturer. As I am not in sales, I just don't know the details you are asking for, so I have to rely on the published information.

It is called product not personal support.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As soon as I saw the Hobie Mirage Lynx I knew I had to try it. I took it out today (7/27/21) after finding a place that had one for rent. I have been finding my revo 13 rather heavy at 70.5 lbs as I grow older (retired geezer) and arthritis has started to kick in. The Lynx is only 45 lbs (fitted Hull weight) and I carry my kayak on top of my Honda Civic roof.

First think I found was that the kayak does feel lighter of course but it is still awkward to handle. I still need a suction roller to get it on/off the roof and two people make it easier. I wanted to try carrying it but I found that the side handles are not really designed for that. If you try, like me, you will squash your fingers between the hull and the handle, not good. Best to use wheels in the holes provided or use the handles at each end with two people.

I took out the various loose Lynx parts from my car once I had the Lynx sitting on the deck like a paddle board. I tried to install the chair first, oh boy, what a mess I made of that. There are cavities on the top of the platform for the chair straps. The small cavities have a metal pin installed. The chair has four adjustable straps that hold it to the deck. The front clips have clips that "engage" the pin in each of the two front cavities. The rear chair straps have an elastic loop that goes on a cleat behind the chair. I found it quite difficult to get the chair set up. Also, the chair does not seem as sturdy as the amazing chair on the 2015 Revo 13. The Revolution 13 chair sets up very quickly for me and it's very comfortable. I got frustrated with the Lynx chair and got it to the best adjustment I could, then gave up. It took too long to set up. However, see below.

UPDATE: On the second day with the Lynx I took more time and inserted the rear metal chair support into the plastic retainers then pulled over an elastic retaining cord to secure the rear chair support. I then adjusted the front seat support. This time I slackened off the strap, hooked it on to the pin in the two cavities in front of the chair. After tightening the straps the chair was solidly in place. Now you can adjust the two straps going to the top of the chair to position the back where you like it. I had no major problems after that. I did feel the back of the part I sat on rubbing into me at one point.

The chair has two small plastic rails, one on each side of the chair. These hold the cup holder (The only one on the kayak until you add accessories) and the rudder control. You decide which side to put them on. I like the rudder control on my left so the cup went right where it got in the way of the paddle holder. I say paddle holder but it consists of a single plastic ball and elastic loop. There is no other way provided to secure the paddle. Put the loop over the paddle handle and the ball to "secure" the paddle. Not my idea secure or fun with arthritic fingers. I much prefer the Revo 13 paddle arrangement, better thought out and very firm and stable. With a strong wind I struggled to get the paddle with the cup holder in the way and my arthritic fingers. The cup holder came into contact with the hull and I didn't find a way to adjust it, pretty frustrating.

UPDATE: On day one, I didn't set the chair up properly. On day two, the cup was not touching the deck and it was fine. I managed to recline the back nicely and it was very comfortable although I still don't like it as much as the chair on the Revo 13.

The paddle holder is abysmal. I could not get the elastic cord over the ball so I gave up and hung onto it. Later when I was in a high current area and dealing with wakes, the paddle fell off the kayak without me noticing and I had to pay the rental company for a new one. That's how bad the paddle holder is. You may have to be inventive to solve this.

The cup holder is a little flimsy in my opinion and the spring/bungy cup retainer is not particularly robust.

Next I took a look at the rudder. After looking it over I could see how it should be installed in the stern. The rudder is a good length. I 'm not sure about the rudder up/down control which is a length of cord with a black 6" or so plastic sleeve on it where you can grab the cord to raise/lower the rudder. You have to reach behind the chair to operate it which means you don't have as much leverage. Pretty basic and it gets in the way of the rear bungy storage arrangement on the deck. It doesn't work well. It seems like an afterthought.

UPDATE: I found it too difficult to use the rudder up/down control when on the water. I decided the best thing to do is grab the rudder when at the dock and push it down. Do the reverse when coming back. The rudder cord up/down control attaches to the back of the seat. The whole arrangement is pretty crude and not very easy to use (Sorry Hobie). My Revo 13 rudder up/down is better being in front of the chair although it's also not always easy to operate and at some point the cord will break and that will be a challenge I expect.

Of course there are no storage holes on the Lynx, it's built like a paddle board so better find a way to store things under the bungy cords (Maybe not at the front because it gets wet quite often)

Now to get the kayak into the water and insert the drive. The first thing I noticed are the drive latches. They work the same way as the Revo 13 latches but they are smaller and look less robust. They may be perfectly OK but that was my first impression. The metal was thin so may not last long. They did work OK however.

The renter forgot to bring the MD180 drive so I used my Revo 13 drive after I fixed a bent flipper rod caused by hidden rocks under the water. The new MD180 fins actually kick back when encountering an underwater obstacle - very nice. The renter provided me with the MD180 drive this evening so I will try it out tomorrow, especially reverse!! It does fit my 2015 Revo 13 (Hmm)

UPDATE: I like the reverse feature on the MD180 - very innovative. Works perfectly! Read the manual on this (and the chair). You have to set the fins slightly apart before pulling on the reverse/forward controls and it didn't work for me out of the water although some reviews show that it does work out of the water (shrug). After a couple of goes you will get it. There is a "good" sound when you get it right.

So how did it perform? Well, I was at a public ramp on the ICW. The water was choppy and the wind was blowing from the south east at around 15-20 knots which is what I was looking for. Of course, since the paddle was not coming free I had to go hand over hand along the wooden deck to get to the end. I had no choice but to be pinned against the boardwalk until I found open water. Then I had to quickly prise out the paddle before I slammed into the dock but fortunately I got the rudder down and the peddles going. There were a number of boats speeding up and down the ICW so I got to see how the kayak handled the wakes. With the chop I took on quite bit of water at times so I got pretty wet when the bow went underwater.

UPDATE: On day two (7/28/21) I tried the MD180 drive. It was terrific. It performed extremely well. It was a calmer day and I went up with the current and came back on the current. The wind was more like 8-10 knots.

DAY 1
I didn't take my Revo 13 sail kit and outriggers with me (I would have been flying although the outriggers would have needed installing). Without a dagger board or a swing keel there's no tacking, you just have to sail before the wind. A spinnaker would be the way to go.

I have to say that the rudder control was very responsive. I had my doubts initially but it was great. The response was instant. I did not try standing up for obvious reasons but I did paddle north on the ICW with the wind and struggled back against it. If it wasn't for the Hobie drive, I would have made very little progress, but with the MD drive I was able to get back to the dock against the wind and current.

I was taken by surprise on price (About $2,700). The Lynx is essentially paddle board. It has holes for components like the chair, the storage box, two H bars and even a mast hole for a sail but otherwise it's just seems like a paddle board. The designs for the chair, the rudder lift, the rudder control cable, the cup holder, the paddle storage are inferior to the other Hobie Kayaks like the Revo 13 IMHO and seem rushed and not well thought out. I therefore suggest that the price should be lower (I don't expect that will happen).

This kayak does not feel as sturdy as the rotomolded polyethylene kayaks like the Revo 13 in my opinion. The Lynx has various layers and it has a two-piece hull/deck which might be damaged by rubbing on the dock as the waves lap against the kayak. I question the longevity of this design. Also there has to be more drag on this wide hull, unlike the other streamlined rotomolded kayaks.

So I have mixed feelings, but I think I will pass on the Hobie Lynx and work on making my Revo 13 easier to handle on/off the car. I think the Lynx would be fun on a relatively calm lake but it's not going to work on the ICW for me. It did seem to be too light to handle a decent chop on day one. In any event, I am so glad I tested the Lynx before I sold my Revo 13 to buy the Lynx. I like my Revo 13's three storage compartments, amazing seat, built in cupholders, meshed stowage compartments, rear bungee mesh, sail and outriggers, a well thought-out paddle storage solution, streamlined shape and with an MD180 drive it will be like a new machine. I would welcome any differing opinions. I saw a video about converting the Revo's MD drive to an MD180 V2. I am going to look into that for sure. Failing that I think a new MD180 V2 Drive is in the works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great post.

I am glad you gave the Lynx two days of testing to determine whether any of the shortcomings were operator error or not. I bought the Lynx without demo'ing it first (and it's my first kayak) and I had some misgivings at first (I had demo'd the Revo) compared to other kayaks I had tried, but after getting used to the Lynx, I came to be a fan.

I had installed the seat incorrectly on my first couple of trips...I had not popped the front bar on the seat down so the seat was way too far forward, causing a very cramped seating position...I also did not have the elastic straps let out all the way...once I fixed that, the seat got MUCH more comfortable and I have had no issues sitting in it for hours at a time. At 6'0" tall, I now have the drive pedals set to either 5 or 6 and it's quite comfortable.

I knew going in that there was no hatch storage, and I am quite 'frugal' (read: i'm a cheapskate) so I put together a fishing crate using a standard milk carton a couple of feet of elastic cord and 8 Hobie hooks that I bought from my dealer. Total price? Like 8 bucks. I added a rod holder to the crate for another 25 or so. I put that behind the seat and put my kill bag under the front bungee and I typically have most of what I need for a salmon/steelhead/trout trip.

I do agree on the durability. I have been VERY VERY careful, but still have lots of little dings and such in the kayak which just frustrates me. I plan on treating my boat like a Faberge Egg for as long as I own it, as I don't want to have to ever have it repaired (and have my wife say "I told you so" as she wanted me to get a molded kayak).

I picked up a homemade Hobie scupper hole cart that was made of PVC pipes with a couple of really good REAL tires...for free from someone who was moving. That cart REALLY helps in moving the boat from point A to point B, but doesn't help picking it up to get it on the car. I'm young enough (for now) to pick it up over my head, but in 10 years, I'll be looking for a new solution.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of mine, but again, I don't have a frame of reference of owning another kayak before this one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great reviews! keep them coming-- I'm having a lot of fun with my iTrek 9 but am deciding between a Lynx and the Compass for my second kayak since I'd like one hard shell also-- mainly for lakes/rivers in Florida but I'd like to use for intracoastal waterways also. The iTrek and the Lynx overlap a lot but I want the added safety/longevity of a hard kayak for the second one. Seems the Compass is much more durable, handles chop better, and is a better platform for mods, but the Lynx has the 23 lb advantage for car-topping. Perhaps Lynx is faster as well? So speed and weight are the main advantages of the Lynx, but it seems the durability and lack of hatches are disadvantages. ( I use a hobie H-crate for iTrek, but this doesn't provide convenient dry storage). Would love to hear thoughts from the Lynx/Compass owners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wife surprised me yesterday with a trip to the kayak shop where 2 Hobie Lynx were waiting for us. Yup I was floored and overwhelmed. My WS Radar 115 with drive was on the Excursion and her Revolution as well. Got everything moved so we could fit the Lynx stacked and it was not an issue and exceptionally easier to load than the other rigs.

Got to the water and they were everything advertised. Light, fast, stable, extremely maneuverable and a pure joy to take out on the water.

Previously been on Pelicans (2) , Jacksons (2), Wilderness Systems and other Hobies (3) and the Lynx is the Tesla of Kayaks. Simply a re-invention and new generation of kayak.

My compliments to the Hobie staff for such a fantastic product.

One suggestion. Consider creating a detachable transducer port so the cords do not need to be secured when transporting on top of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pughimag38 wrote:
First think I found was that the kayak does feel lighter of course but it is still awkward to handle. I still need a suction roller to get it on/off the roof and two people make it easier. I wanted to try carrying it but I found that the side handles are not really designed for that. If you try, like me, you will squash your fingers between the hull and the handle, not good. Best to use wheels in the holes provided or use the handles at each end with two people.

If you use this method, it's a kid game:

pughimag38 wrote:
The paddle holder is abysmal. I could not get the elastic cord over the ball so I gave up and hung onto it. Later when I was in a high current area and dealing with wakes, the paddle fell off the kayak without me noticing and I had to pay the rental company for a new one. That's how bad the paddle holder is. You may have to be inventive to solve this.

The Lynx is so high on water I never use the paddle ( I didn'it used it on Compass or Outback as well )

pughimag38 wrote:
UPDATE: I found it too difficult to use the rudder up/down control when on the water. I decided the best thing to do is grab the rudder when at the dock and push it down. Do the reverse when coming back. The rudder cord up/down control attaches to the back of the seat. The whole arrangement is pretty crude and not very easy to use (Sorry Hobie). My Revo 13 rudder up/down is better being in front of the chair although it's also not always easy to operate and at some point the cord will break and that will be a challenge I expect.

You just have to pull it a hard hit

pughimag38 wrote:
But I think I will pass on the Hobie Lynx and work on making my Revo 13 easier to handle on/off the car. I think the Lynx would be fun on a relatively calm lake but it's not going to work on the ICW for me.

I used it on a salt pond with 25 mph wind.
Except you got wet ( but with an Outback as well ) no fear feeling.

I Keep my Lynx and sell my Outback... :)