Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie,

Either replace the cheap side carry handles with the style used on the Outback, or add a handle in the center so it can be carried like a paddleboard under your arm. The flexible side carry handles are useless. If you are carrying it by yourself, it smashes your fingers in the kayak so you have to hold the handle by the tips of your fingers. It you have two people, it is easier to use the front and rear handles. My suggestion is to mold a pocket in the center of the kayak (or better yet, slightly off center to accommodate people with short arms and long arms. Here is my favorite handle for this purpose. It allows unlimited maneuverability with the kayak so you can pick it up from a flat position, carry it under your arm, then flip it upside down for car topping. And please don't raise the price $200 for the additional $10 in plastic. :D

http://supthinktank.com/liftsup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's an awesome idea. I have the same problem with the handles when trying to move the kayak from my garage to my car by myself.

Seems like there is a hack in there somewhere....just not sure where.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agreed. Bad design but fixable for sure. Overall though what a great ride!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found these cut to length aluminum handles from mcmaster carr. I reused the hardware from the factory handles and they feel pretty solid. Solves the finger crush problem and looks pretty good too I think!

https://www.mcmaster.com/18715A62/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Nice!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the idea of a handle in the middle better. It would allow easier carrying with one arm and would not hinder stackability. The downside is it is not something you can retrofit easily. Come on Hobie engineers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Only question would be that this adds a lever load to the inserts that was not intended.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="wdkerber"]I found these cut to length aluminum handles from mcmaster carr. I reused the hardware from the factory handles and they feel pretty solid. Solves the finger crush problem and looks pretty good too I think!

Wonder if you could use cut down H-Rails in the same way?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Only question would be that this adds a lever load to the inserts that was not intended.

Are you referring to the LiftSUP handle? It would not require the traditional inserts. The surface area of the pocket that is machined out for inserting the handle assembly has a huge amount of surface area compared to a couple of tiny inserts.

Also, I think it has probably been installed on tens of thousands of SUP boards at this point. I have personally owned several and never had an issue. The biggest SUP manufacturer in the world uses them. https://www.supatx.com/ The SUP boards are lighter at 28 lbs.

Check out the installation video:

With the pattern, would be easy to demo...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:

That is a good question. The base of the handle is fairly wide so it's spreading the lateral force over a large area. It seems ok so far but I'll be careful.

Quote:
Wonder if you could use cut down H-Rails in the same way?

I think so, but the H-rails are a good bit taller so it would make for a large handle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unfortunately, I believe that replacing the handles with these types of handles eliminates the ability to stack Lynx’s during transport or storage. The H rails unfortunately do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Laseter wrote:
Unfortunately, I believe that replacing the handles with these types of handles eliminates the ability to stack Lynx’s during transport or storage. The H rails unfortunately do the same.

Not sure what you mean by "these types of handles." You realize the LiftSUP hand sits flush with the deck, right? It pulls out for use and pushes back in to store. How would that interfere with stacking? Stacking is a pretty basic requirement for stand up paddleboards, which is the primary use for this handle design.

I wish Hobie engineers would weigh in on this and let us know if they intended this kayak to be handled by one person, and if so, how exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

An excellent board with questionable handles. First time I saw the Lynx, the only obvious missing ergonomic is the SUP style handle in the middle. But I come from surfing 30 years before my first kayak. To me it’s a no brainer. At 45 lbs. stripped it would be much easier to handle SUP style.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great board but handles are useless to use single handed. I own a wing foil board and they are similar construction with a central finger slot to carry similar to SUPs mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie, are you hearing the feedback? When can we expect to see the new handle?