Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Kit with Lynx?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m interested in the Lynx for portability, but need to make sure the sail kit and curler are functional with this boat.

How is it installed? Especially if Lynx is not designed to be drilled into for cleats, etc.?

Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sail Kit with Lynx?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also very interested in this. Please list correct Mirage Sail Kit and Furling Kit part #'s. And ideas on how to mount blocks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

The sail is the standard kayak sail kit. Then it needs a bullet block on the aft handle line. You do not need a furler system. To add one to the Lynx is a DIY project at this point. We have no specific plans for the furler kit on that model. You should be able to add a plate to the two inserts located just aff of the mast mount... on the rail. Then mount the fairlead. You would need to extend the furling line system's anchor bungee to further aft on the hull.

Looking forward to see what folks come up with here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt. What size bullet block?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Small Micro and a shackle to attach it.

H224 BLOCK-MICRO SINGLE

11220000 SHACKLE STND "D" 4.7 MM

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Looking forward to see what folks come up with here.

Wait, Hobie specifically says the Lynx is compatible with the sail, but you're suggesting that it's a DIY project with no plans to develop it further? WHAT?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

The sail is... the furler is not.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks mmiller for the info.

Would it be possible for you to post some images of the the sail rigging setup for the Lynx? Not sure I'm picturing it correctly. Especially the "then it needs a bullet block on the aft handle line" part.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, curious if anyone has a solution to add a cam cleat on the Lynx track system. I had the Lynx out with a sail kit yesterday and have the following observations.

1) small bullet block connected with a D shackle to aft ring (same location as handle) made main sheet work well.

2) I added an extra shackle on the starboard handle to serve as a pivot point for the sheet. It worked, but likely will add another small bullet block to again make the line move more smoothly.

3] need to add a small cam cleat some where on that starboard side to allow me to let go of the sheet at some point. It was a lot of work continually holding it over a 5+ mile sail/pedal.

Any suggestions on how to attach a cam cleat using the existing track?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiki Steve,

This kayak fisher is producing parts for the Lynx. Here is an adapter to the seat clip. Might be able to attach a cleat to one and have the line right at your seat.

https://navarrekayakfishing.com/shop/ho ... p-adapter/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiki Steve wrote:
So, curious if anyone has a solution to add a cam cleat on the Lynx track system. I had the Lynx out with a sail kit yesterday and have the following observations.

Any suggestions on how to attach a cam cleat using the existing track?

I have a cam cleat solution as I took mine out yesterday on its maiden sail voyage and was observing the same thoughts of locking down the cleat. I bought the night ize cam cleat and will use the Scotty mount at the front with an eye adapter hole to hook the cleat in tension. Hands free sailing. Since I didn't think of the Scotty mount on the rails, I used the pedal bungee instead to secure the cam cleat in tension. It worked but to close to me for my liking plus the bungee is springy. I 'll post some pics on the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's how I rigged my cam cleat from the pics all integrated with the furler kit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1t1LFdkFMPiFTqH6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So you were able to use the off the shelf Hobie furler kit? Any modifications needed?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiki Steve wrote:
So you were able to use the off the shelf Hobie furler kit? Any modifications needed?

The few modifications I did to make the furler off the shelf kit to work was by adding a block of wood for the fairlead on the top right side picking up the two insert holes using #14 screws. The length of the screws will determine how much you have to recessed the screws into the wood. And also not to go through the bottom of the insert, I left maybe about .125" before I bottomed out. I also added a thin foam rubber basket underneath it.

The 2nd mod, where you have to stretch the two lines off the fairlead from the attached bungee, I had to attach it behind the back seat with a cord to reach the bungee clip like you see in the picture. You have to play with the cord length to give you the right tension for the furler to work nicely. You can see my length from the picture for guidance.

for the 3rd mod, I purchased the recommended shackle and micro block for the stern "D" ring for the main sheet as you see in the picture. This was smoother then just going through the "D" ring as the main sheet is your typical braided cord where you feel the little bumps.

For 4th mod, most importantly, how do I have my lunch without constantly holding the main sheet? I use a cam jam connected to my Scotty mount with an eye hole to loop a cord for the cam jam as you see in the pic.

All in all the furler kit works but you need to do mods 1 and 2 the very least. I had friends in another kayak yesterday where I could easily furl the sail up while pulled up next to them instead of the sail flapping all over like there's no tomorrow. You can see the sail furled up in the pic where my lynx is in the parking lot. So, if I had no furler, the sail would be dangling or catching wind all over the place while bringing the boat down to the boat ramp. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great! Thanks for the advice!