Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail FURLER for Lynx?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Understanding from an earlier post that there is no plan for a sail furler that will work with the sail kit installed in a Lynx.

Anybody have suggestions on how to DIY a furler for my Lynx sail?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just brought my new Lynx with sail kit out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. Although it performed admirably, I discovered that the stock fins are insufficient as a centerboard. I also purchased a furler kit for the boat assuming I could easily mount it to the deck. This is an essential feature, imo, as it allows you to reef the sail in high winds. I'll be developing an adapter for the fairlead so it can be mounted to the existing deck inserts however, I can find information on the size of these inserts anywhere. Seems as though this should be included in the detailed specifications somewhere. Could someone please advise on the correct fastener size for these inserts on the Lynx deck?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:19 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

A #14 Screw is compatible with the LYNX deck inserts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would also love to install the furling kit. Please keep us posted…

I looked up a #14 screw. There are many varieties and lengths. Is there a more specific recommendation?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a possible solution for adding the furler. I installed 2#14 screws about halfway into the screw holes on the right-hand side near the mast. I use those two screws to lead the furling lines back to the screw hole on the right rear of the Hobie where I installed another screw halfway down, attached a loop of string and then connected the elastic end of the furling bungee to achieve the proper tension. Looks like it will work. Hope to try it out this week and attach a photo if I can figure out how to do that….

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:02 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

A #14x1 Screw is compatible with the LYNX deck inserts.

To install a furling kit on a LYNX you're going to need a LYNX H-rail kit (PN84626106) and two universal H-rail mounting plates (PN84622). The installation process will be very similar to a rotomolded boat except instead of mounting the parts on the hull, they will be mounted on the universal plates. The fairlead would be mounted on the first plate and the padeye that the line hooks onto will be mounted on the second plate.

SAIL FURLER INSTALLATION FOR HOBIE KAYAK SAIL KIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0njdzfPnY&t=198s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Happy to report that today's sea trial went perfectly. No need to install H rail kit. I made a few minor adjustments to the "fair lead" screws by adding a washer and very small length of silicon tubing to protect the rope from the screw threads. I will attempt to post some photos….

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Photo of my setup

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArvBjKxCuxEWhLNPzvD ... w?e=KuZauN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

That is a great setup! Well done :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice work faudr. Very simple and cost-effective.

It's a shame that the recommended solution from Hobie requires 3 different accessories and rework when those forward bosses are nearly perfectly positioned for the fair-lead. I am in the process of mocking up a solution that uses a single additional part or a fair-lead mount. I've discovered that the fair-lead wonts to be a tad further inboard than the two forward bosses as this routes the furling lines and the tensioner in between the seat and the handle, reducing the likelihood of the system getting tangled on other components.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UzKSMS ... sp=sharing

Last edited by riverbum on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also a little confused by the comment on a #14 screw... seems too small to me. However, I don't know what *style* of screw is being recemmended here. Machine screw? Sheet metal screw? Wood screw? Anyway, I'll be installing helicoils so the threads don't wear during my experimentation but have determined that a #10 thread-forming screw (tri-lobular) for plastic would work just fine. You can find these on.

www.mcmastercarr.com PN:99461A470

I'm yet to test these however.

I'll be sharing a photo of the part I've developed for this application but, a close-up of the mock-up for now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BTnHWJ ... sp=sharing

I've also come up with a simple solution to anchor the mast to the deck. More on that later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Those two inserts with screws and a bushing or roller on each look like the perfect solution! Just need to extend the line as you have done as well. Nice work!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd like to use the fairlead that comes with the kit as it's a nice piece of hardware. This may be a little difficult to visualize but, the mount I've developed below (hoping the embedded link works):

BTW, The correct plastite screw size is *not* #10. #14's a little on the big side but the boss material is so soft, I would expect them to work just fine. Again, I prefer machine threads here so, I'm installing helicoils.

If the above embedded image doesn't work, here's the direct link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A5CIwQ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Riverbum and anyone still interested.

I'm looking to set my Lynx up with a sail. Has you fairlead mount been successful? If it has, could you send me the file so I can try to have it printed or milled? Have you developed your setup further?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey @riverbum any luck on the fairlead mount, this is what I have been looking for!