Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Question is: Would adding Turbo Fins provide more power for towing? I tried to tow another Lynx, which was capsized with paddler sitting on top, but was unable to make any forward progress. My Lynx went in all directions but forwards. [Details: The kayker was sitting ontop of their overturned Lynx kayak and I was attempting to pull him via both of us holding onto opposite ends of a paddle. Their kayak had a lot of drag being with seat, beach dolly, bimini, etc. still attached. Unbelievable, but no gear was lost. We were 25 yards from beach, and they were able to paddle, themselves. Yes, in hindsight, he probably could have righted it.] PS - I don't know how they did it, because I find the Lynx to be extremely stable, and I am heavier that that other person.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup, capsized boats are incredibly hard to pull, been there done that :? . In this case only a kayak but trying to pull while holding via a paddle would have been tough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Direct answer about adding turbo fins, yes, you get additional power with a lower pedal cadence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Turbo fins will definitely help. But not as much as a tow line or an upright kayak.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In additional, it's probable that with the fins admirable ability to bend and deflect when hitting objects, perhaps towing a heavy load will cause them to bend and thus hinder towing? Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
perhaps towing a heavy load will cause them to bend and thus hinder towing?

Nah. Turbo fins work fine for towing. We have towed an Outfitter with 2 kids many miles and all day behind our Oasis with seemingly little more effort than if we did not have them in tow. We have also done a turbo fin to non-turbo fin tug race between two Outfitters tied stern-to-stern and again the turbo fins shined, even with the stronger pair on the non-turbo fins. Now, we do keep our turbo fins adjusted for minimal flex.

Peter