Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my lynx out this morning on its first sailing shakedown. Had the furler kit installed.
The mod I did was put a piece of wood and pick up the 2 inserts using #14 screws. The fairlead is installed in between the two screws on the wood block.

People talk about how good this yak is for fishing but man...sailing this bad boy was so fun. Fished yesterday on it's maiden voyage. Excellent! And today went out for a sail...also excellent! Next is to try paddle boarding.

Any how here's my furler mod. The hardest part was securing the furler with the 4 hex nuts. The wrench doesn't quite engage the hex screws. And you have to ensure the furler is parallel or inline with the fairlead in height. All in all the furler kit works with the Lynx with a slight mod on picking up the two starboard inserts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x1xVpAUAvUdnmBig8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Are you able to take a bunch more photos of your set up such up close, rear section and everything in one pic? Anything that you would differently next time?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MintCemetery wrote:
Hi, Are you able to take a bunch more photos of your set up such up close, rear section and everything in one pic? Anything that you would differently next time?

Thanks!

Yes, I will take a bunch more of close up pics on my setup. I just need to figure out how to dump more pics or create an album for the link.
I now have my lynx upside down for hull protection trim molding underneath that i' m installing.

In the meantime, I've painted my fairlead wood block white and will reshaping it make it look nicer for a final install. Also, will add a foam gasket in between the wood and the hull to create a seal from water intrusion. I could not find the #14 stainless screws. Just manage to get the typical metal/wood #14 from Home depot. I will will also scotch tape over the recessed screw head for water intrusion. Since the aft section is not long enough to reach the rear tie down, I added an extra cord with a loop to reach the hook. The recommended 5" from the manual is too tight. I went with 7" or so and that was much easier to manage the furler. Also, I just got the recommended shackle/pulley for the sail kit. The D ring at the back works but you can feel braided notches in the line. I figured the shackle/pulley will make the main sheet feel much smoother. I also need to add additional wind tail on the top of the mast to see where the wind direction is coming from.

I didn't think sailing the lynx would get me this excited compared to the fishing. Now, all I can think is going sailing again! So, I think I've figured everything out including cleating the main sheet for hands free sailing...so I can fish :) I'm going to bring my rod next time and troll while I sail. What a combo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MintCemetery wrote:

Thanks!

I finally manage to go out sailing again. Here's the pics up close of my rig with the furler. Everything works really well. The cam jam lock allows you to be hands free and have your lunch while you sailing. I tried fishing trolling as well while sailing. Thar works too. I'm super happy with this setup now using the furler kit. See pics from my link below.

So, if anyone else wants to add a furler kit, this is how it's done. With a few mods of course. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1t1LFdkFMPiFTqH6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcaoM9ELgwU