Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are people using for hull protection? I picked up the Berleypro bumper bro and the extended rear bumpers from Navarre fishing kayaks. Thinking of also adding some keeleazy strips on each side and maybe one down the center. I've seen someone use automobile molding to do the same but not sure how it would affect the speed of the boat.

I was thinking to just protect the nose and rear, but I saw this video posted recently of a lynx hull after a year of use, which had me thinking about adding the keeleazy strips

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How are you liking the Berleypro bumper bro? Was the fit spot-on?
I can't decide between this or just simply making one myself with Kydex and shaping with a heat gun.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cut a 2" PVC pipe in half the long way, then flattened them down and remolded them to the keel. Took a bit of work, but looks like the protection will last a super long time and do the job. Now I am thinking of doing the sides and rear soon so I can drag the Lynx a bit with less concern.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rockcrawler wrote:
How are you liking the Berleypro bumper bro? Was the fit spot-on?
I can't decide between this or just simply making one myself with Kydex and shaping with a heat gun.

It actually fit perfectly after I figured out where it sits properly. I've seen some people place it further back but it doesn't match the shape of the hull in that position, so I think that is why you hear people needing to use heat to shape it. The position I used is further forward similar to the Berley Pro website image, and it seems to work great. When on the cart the boat sits right at the rear end of the bumper bro, and there is plenty of it in front to protect when you land on a boat ramp.

So far I've only used it on the boat ramp, and put the wheels on before dragging it up, didn't see any scratches except on the Berleypro where the boat rests when on the cart. The kydex they use is like a hard shell and definitely feels like it will last a long while.

This is the image from the Berleypro website showing the position, sorry no clue how to resize!

Last edited by Fishtacos15 on Thu May 26, 2022 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added some 2 ft strips of keeleazy to the sides and along the center, time will tell if that is worth it, they are pretty expensive for what you get in thickness. I like the pvc strips option choied mentioned which might be better for the money.

I also added some heavy duty extra wide gorilla tape from walmart to extend the coverage a little more over the keeleazy, that seems to be a good cheap option with a lot of coverage.

but since I've been using the boat ramp and cart I haven't really had to drag it much. Although the extended rear bumpers from Navarre fishing did help protect the rear of the boat when i had it tipped upwards while loading it from to cart to my truck bed