Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha!

I’m about to buy a 1990 Hobie 17 sport.

The only issue that I can see is a broken rudder, and the part of the hull that the rudder bolts into is cracked and pushed in a bit.

Can anyone please tell me if it looks serious, or if I can just cut around the cracked area, fill with some resin, sand smooth and drill more holes?

Pic below

Thank you!

https://flic.kr/p/JS9VSr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It doesn’t look like a major issue, but it should be addressed. I would not just fill it with resin. This is a highly loaded area of the hull, so the repair should be reinforced with fiberglass. I would grind back the gelcoat to get a better idea of what’s going on with the hull structure. You could also cut a hole in the deck to gain access from the inside and then just install an access hatch kit to close up the hole. Keep in mind that there are aluminum plates glassed into the transom that the gudgeon screws thread into. I believe there is also a wood panel laminated into the transom to give it extra strength. If the wood becomes waterlogged, it can swell which may be what happened in your case.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I got my Hobie 20 it had the same issue on the port transom. Lucky for me the 20's already have an inspection port back there. I used bondo glass on the outside, bondo glassed a new steel plate onto the inside ( prob 5" wide x 9" tall. Once everything hardened up really good I sanded the back really smooth and flush to match the good side, masked everything off and sprayed white appliance enamel paint in many layers. Looked like new.
Redrilled gudgeon holes using the good side as a template thru everything even the internal steel plate and used SS bolts to remount everything. Solid as rock and I was only out about $35 in parts but a good amount of time spread out over a couple weeks. It's been working flawlessly in the ocean at many regattas and rough water the last 5 years.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies! I’ll let you know how it goes. She’s a gorgeous cat!!!!