Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I'm really struggling with my FXone. I'm hoping you can help or refer me to someone who can.

The problems when sailing in winds of 15knts plus:

1) When she goes over, it's impossible to swing mast perpendicular to the wind in order to right her
-The wind blows into the tamp and the mast drags and she flies down the lake
-I've tried climbing on the tip of the prow (even hanging out with the righting rope.
-I've tried hanging off the prow in the water
- None of the above budge her at all

2) She's alway pushing forward. Never in irons. Never neutral. Even with the sheet detached and the jib is loose, she's always pulling (fast)
-I've tried various things to weather helm her
-I've toed in the rudders
-I've raked back the mast
-Nothing works
-In fact she turns off wind (more so on the port tack) and powers up as soon as you let go the rudders

3) If I get help and do manage to right her after a spill, she take off at SPEED and it's near impossible to climb back on due to the water pressure on your body.

The above makes it dangerous to sail her in good wind. After a couple of near, dangerous disasters I'm a bit scared.

Any advice?

Warm Regards,
Michael Hainebach

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You mentioned toeing the rudders in to increase weather helm, but rudder toe doesn’t affect the helm. Did you try raking the rudders back (rudder tips shifted aft)? Raking the rudders aft should increase the weather helm.

Maybe try sailing without the jib, at least until you get a better feel for the boat. Without the jib, the boat should be able to point into the wind more easily for depowering.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm relatively new to the FX1, but have 20hs and several club races after getting it late summer last year.

I've sailed several times last year with the main only, but did play with the rake. Rake seemed to have little effect on weather helm. I would drop the jib and report back.

Mine has slight weather helm (I deem almost perfect), and is easy to get it into irons...also easy to stop/sit by letting the main out and holding the rudders fully into the wind. Rudders are tucked up pretty tight.

Haven't capsized yet, no way I could right it by myself, especially in light wind. Have hardware for a righting pole, but think I'm going rig a righting bag. Not if, but when...

There aren't many of us active users that sail FXs, so report back your findings so we can all learn.