All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Should I buy a Hobie 17 or Dragoon?
Hobie 17 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hobie Dragoon 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

Just about to return to sailing after several years of the water.

I'm looking at a Hobie 17 with roller furling so that would be a H17Sport?

I will sail the boat solo for fun, in the UK, only on a lake with majority 8mph to 17mph winds. I'm fairly fit but also only weigh 145lbs.

After reading the various posts here and elsewhere, it seems the likelyhood of my righting the boat will be about zero, but there is always safety cover which would mean that I will be safe. My question is how hard are these boats to keep upright in these conditions, as I don't want to be needing assistance constantly (ideally never). Also and how easy are they overall to sail? My background is bluewater sailing in a monohull.

There are many other options available and I'd like to get the right boat first time. I have considered a Hobie Dragoon, which whilst much smaller, weighs less than half an H17 and uses maim, jib and asymmetric spin which could also be a good option.

As you all know these boats well, this forum seems the best place to get advice. I look forward to any help and suggestions.

Thanks!

JEZ!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

145lbs is a little light for a H17. I don’t think you would really “need” to have a jib. The 17 is acthally a fairly stable boat and is pretty resistant to pitchpoling. The rig is also pretty tunable when fitted with a well working downhaul and the wings help smaller people keep the boat under control in stronger winds. I think at your weight, you will be able to trapeze at around 10mph windspeed and you will probably max out in the upper teens or around 20mph. Righting the boat will be quite difficult at your size, but a righting pole or water bag could help out.

The biggest difficulty in sailing will be learning to tack the boat (the jib may help you there). There is a technique to tacking beach cats that differs from large monohulls.

Another thing to keep in mind is the weight and size of the boat when moving it around on the beach. At around 330lbs, you need to make sure you are comfortable moving around a boat of that size by yourself.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
145lbs is a little light for a H17. I don’t think you would really “need” to have a jib. The 17 is acthally a fairly stable boat and is pretty resistant to pitchpoling. The rig is also pretty tunable when fitted with a well working downhaul and the wings help smaller people keep the boat under control in stronger winds. I think at your weight, you will be able to trapeze at around 10mph windspeed and you will probably max out in the upper teens or around 20mph. Righting the boat will be quite difficult at your size, but a righting pole or water bag could help out.

The biggest difficulty in sailing will be learning to tack the boat (the jib may help you there). There is a technique to tacking beach cats that differs from large monohulls.

Another thing to keep in mind is the weight and size of the boat when moving it around on the beach. At around 330lbs, you need to make sure you are comfortable moving around a boat of that size by yourself.

sm

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

The righting is an issue, and not one I can really resolve. I will just have to not push the boat too hard, so its much less likely to be an issue. The sailing club safety patrols will also mean this is not a severe safety risk too.

Cats are given bays on the lake shore, so launching & recovery will be less of a problem than hauling a cat up a wide beach. I think if this were not the case I would not consider an H17.

Learning the techniques to sail a cat solo is a challenge for sure. Its a definite attraction but thats easy for me to say now, perhaps after a summer of wrestling the boat I might think differently!

I still haven't made up my mind which to buy but fortunately both cats are still unsold...

JEZ!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And suddenly a super mint condition Dragoon appears, and a deposit is paid... I'm really pleased to have found one like this and given their rarity somewhat fortunate. Good price too.

Still, a little disappointed that I won't be sailing a classic Hobie this summer -they are so beautiful- but I really don't want to have a boat I cannot right, easily solo. Perhaps if I eat more pies...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The H17S is a great solo boat, I've sailed mine for the last 20 year after soloing a H16 the previous 20 years. I agree soloing requires the ability to self-right. At 210 lbs it wasn't an issue for me with the 17 but I needed a righting bucket for the 16. At your weight I'd look into a Power Pole and righting bucket combination. Those two used in conjunction would make righting very doable