Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I am new to catamaran sailing. Could you please tell me what is is the load carrying capacity of the FX One? Can it be used for occasional family sailing of two adults and two kids (13 and 10 years old). Most of the time we will sail it in a couple, one adult and one youth, but occasionally I would like to take the whole family for relaxed cruising. We do not need high speed :-)

Thanks for your answer in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The FX One has a maximum load carrying capacity of 350 lbs. This includes the weight of the paddler, any gear they are bringing with them, and any additional passengers that may be aboard. When calculating this weight limit, it is important to keep in mind the stability characteristics of the kayak as well. If you are unsure about the weight of your load, it is always best to err on the side of caution and reduce the amount of items you are bringing with you. This will help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all aboard. Have fun out there!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Annlodge12 wrote:
The FX One has a maximum load carrying capacity of 350 lbs. This includes the weight of the paddler, any gear they are bringing with them, and any additional passengers that may be aboard. When calculating this weight limit, it is important to keep in mind the stability characteristics of the kayak as well. If you are unsure about the weight of your load, it is always best to err on the side of caution and reduce the amount of items you are bringing with you. This will help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all aboard. Have fun out there!

The Hobie FX-One (as referred to in this forum) is not a kayak. It's a single-handed catamaran made in Europe and sold in the US for a brief period.

That being said, it's not really meant as a "family cruiser." It's a high-performance catamaran with a spinnaker - and takes a long time to set up from on the trailer to getting on the water (1+ hour). You're better off with a Getaway or a Hobie 16 for your intended purpose.

But to directly answer your question, the load carrying capacity of the FX-One is 400 lbs / 181 kg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I owned a Hobie 17, the predecessor to the FX-1. I was mislead by an unscrupulous dealer that it "has more capacity" than the H16. So it was for me, my wife, and our 3 small children. We made it work, but it was a really wet boat, and as the kids grew, someone had to stay on shore. So, no, do not buy a boat designed for solo racing. It will work ok for 2 adults or one adult and 2 smaller kids.

A 16 is much better for that. A Getaway, even better. I currently have a Getaway. It's good for 6 adults (seriously) and will carry your family easily. Lots of room for kids with the forward tramp, that's my grandkids favorite spot. Slower than a FX-1 or 16.

That said, I miss soloing my 17. I solo the Getaway, and it's not as fast. So if you were comparing them to cars, the Getaway is an Impala, the 16 a Camaro, and the 17 (or FX-1) a Corvette.

Another possibility is an 18. Especially with wings. Wings are great. The 18 is like an Impala SS. The only real problem is if you have to right it by yourself, unless you make a righting pole, you're not going to be able to do it by yourself. You might be able to do it with the help of a child or two, depending on their size.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much for all of your answers. I will probably search for something more buoyant than the FX One. I would like to buy something more "sporty" than the Gateway where we can learn and improve over time. It will be sailed mostly in a couple. Do you think that something like the Hobie Tiger, Nacra 5.5 or Nacra 6.0 would be a good option?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any of those, or a Hobie 16 or 18. 16s are fun, quick, responsive, and there are a ton of them around. 18s are faster with more capacity, plus there are wings for them. Once you've sailed with wings, you always will want them.

Too many canoes and kayaks