Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've seen one other post about optimal capsize "technique" - ie. what to do when you know the boat is going over. That entry was posted by an H20 sailor. Resulting recommendations can be roughly summarized as "hold on - if you can". I've just recently started trapping and am wondering if there are any words of wisdom about handling a capsize when trapping from the H17 wings since it's occurred to me that I may be a human sling shot when something goes haywire up there. Anyone tried to climb down the under-surface of the wings (ie normally facing the water) at the time of capsize and then stand on the windward hull? I've got a feeling that it's going to be a human cannonball type of adventure but if there are any tips, I'd love to hear them. thx.

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've rarely gone over that way. Most of the time, I've pitchpoled or fallen off the trapeze (something broke).

It depends on how low you are trapping out. Since I trap out low, I can sit on the edge of the wing as the boat's going over, then unhook and climb down, usually around the front crossbar so I end up next to the righting line.

Whatever you do, don't jump into the sail.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I smell what you're stepping in. Went over in a hurry once w/ my son on the wire– he came flying past me in a blur and into the sail maybe 5' above the foot. We had so much rolling momentum, the boat didn't even think about stopping. We turtled in a heartbeat... ah the joys of sailing on a gusty inland lake. He is light enough (and went into it flat enough) so the sail was unscathed.

More recently I took that ride from the wing, but just sitting on it. A gnarly, rogue gust nailed me while asleep at the wheel and I put my leg through the bottom panel near the window. That sail was seriously delaminating anyway, so I am now the proud owner of a pentex square top. It seems to me there is not a lot room between the sail & tramp to fall from the wing, whether trapping or sitting. Holding on and lowering yourself down either side is the obvious plan but I seem to have a shortage of hands (with the sheet and tiller to tend) when a capsize is looming. :shock: