Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 Sport has its own portsmouth handicap rating separate from the 17 SE, so you could use the jib for open class racing.

For one-design racing, I guess you technically need to convert everything over, but really, you'd probably be fine at the local level racing it as-is but without the jib. We have a guy that did that for a while in my area - he used his boomless mainsail and didn't use the jib (he has subsequently gotten a boom). Not having a boom or rotator is a disadvantage, so no one is likely to protest you. If you have the Harken main traveler, you might hear some grumbles, but more than likely, people will just be happy to have another boat on the course.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
The 17 Sport has its own portsmouth handicap rating separate from the 17 SE, so you could use the jib for open class racing.

For one-design racing, I guess you technically need to convert everything over, but really, you'd probably be fine at the local level racing it as-is but without the jib. We have a guy that did that for a while in my area - he used his boomless mainsail and didn't use the jib (he has subsequently gotten a boom). Not having a boom or rotator is a disadvantage, so no one is likely to protest you. If you have the Harken main traveler, you might hear some grumbles, but more than likely, people will just be happy to have another boat on the course.

sm

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

J_Eaton wrote:
I think Paul still has the 10', behemoth, stick that came with his boat (maybe it broke?) but know he didn't care for it.
I traded the 10' stick for a non-broken hot stick + a little cash. I'd like to trade the non-broken hot stick for a longer (preferrably the longest) non-broken hot stick.

H17 #747
Fort Collins, CO