Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

I bought from a Hobie dealer an used H17SE (1997) and have three issues with it. I would appreciate your help, since I could not get the right support from my dealer.

1. if I rigg up the mast, the configuration of forestay, jib furler, bridles and pole spreader is too long. The mast leans backwards significantly. I took out the pole spreader and the mast was then in the right position. But the bridles were then pulling too vertical and caused already damage on the hull, where the anchor plate is inserted - just from sailing 20min with low wind.
I assured with the Hobie dealer that I have the original forestay, bridles and that the parts of the pole spreader are original parts. But nevertheless it does not fit. Every H17 and pictures of it shows that jib furler should sit higher and the bridles should have not such a flat angle.

Would you be able to support me with the correct lengths for all the bridle and the forestay, so I can check where the problem lays?
Would you have pictures of the pole spreader bar and its assembling parts? (the sketches in the assembling material don't show the details of the connection between anchor plate and bridles, and the assembly inside the spreader)

2. How can I fix the damage on the hull, caused by the vertical force on the anchor plate? What do you suggest me to do? (I am happy to post some pictures)

3. the Jib I received from the dealer as a replacement for the original Jib does not have a luff pocket with zipper as it is suggested everywhere I retrieve information from. And indeed it is very odd to raise and inefficient to sail the jib. It is not attached to the forestay - only on the head of the sail and on the bottom.

I highly appreciate your input or comments from any other H17SE expert.

Thanks a lot!
Christoph
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, I just saw a little glitch in my first point:
the bridles were pulling in too much HORIZONTALLY - not vertically
Christoph

Last edited by chris.milz on Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

The bridles are at a pretty horizontal angle as shown in the photo and the pole is what converts that angle to a more vertical one. Without it, yes the short bridles would damage the boat or tangs. I would have to see photos to guess at a possible repair.

The wire lengths should be:

Forestay
10 3/8" Pigtail (upper)
17' 2 1/2" Lower

Bridles. Upper ones (wire). (below the pole are solid stainless)
3' 5 1/8"

Shrouds
18' 11"

The jib certainly would not be a correct jib for it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt!

all rigging wire has the correct length. Maybe my understanding of how much the mast should lean back is wrong. I have uploaded a picture of my H17SE to show how much the mast leans back. (http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php)

I spoke today to a Hobie dealer and he said that "over the years Hobies were designed with a more back leaning mast. It is actually o.k. if it leans back over the aft cross bar." What's your comment to this?

Regarding the pole spreader, please see the pictures under the link above. The rod, connecting anchor plate and bridle is bended. Is that correct?
Viewing the frontal picture of the cross bar, you see a gap in the cross bar metal. What's the function of it?

Thanks,
Christoph

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Christoph:

This should give you a better look at the foil setup.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _photo.php

May have to register to view it?

Doug

Post subject: Rake
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

The mast rake in the photo does not look to be excessive in any way. Tighten up the shrouds. The rig should be snug.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)