Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disassembly
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so I need to take the Hulls and crossbars apart on my H17 so I can take the tramp off for some work and so I can work on the hulls this spring.

I have the 4 bolts out ok and the hulls are loose but the outside will not come off. I do not know exactly how the outside end inserts or is locked in place and I don't want to break anything.

Can you all tell me what the trick to getting this off is?

Post subject: Re: Disassembly
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

With bolts removed... and trampoline off / loose... push the hulls apart. The end casting is not connected to the crossbar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had to do that. I found that gently rocking the hulls port-starboard will loosen the hulls, or determine that they are loose and ready to come apart. It is possible a previous owner has somehow bonded the crossbars to the hull to reduce flex, and if they did not use a release agent it might be need some thought about how to proceed. If you do find that, there are more experienced people on this forum who have better advice to offer.
I think the topic has been raised before, so try searching around a bit, you will find something.
Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do t think that it has been bonded it is pretty loose, ut the tramp is not all the way off. It is one with diagonal laces across the middle and has been completely unlaced but it is very stiff and difficult to slide through the tracks. i was hoping that separating everything and having one beam stay with the side it was attached to by the tramp half might make this easier but it looks like I will have to try to at least get it out of the side tracks. I have to say I think the permanence of the tramp install on this boat is a pain in the ass. I am used removing the tramp every year to lessen weight from snow but I won't be able to do that here.

Thanx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe try neat detergent as a lubricant to help it slide. Or if the condition of the tramp is poor, cut it away and get a new one. I replaced mine with a 3-piece that laces centre and aft. Before fitting I added pockets to the underside for the righting rope and better topside pockets with Velcro flaps to keep them closed.

If that does not appeal to you, I have my old tramp in OK condition, you (or anyone) can have it for cost of postage from Oz to you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have 2 part tramp and need to remove it every year, you may want to consider grinding a slot in the center of the crossbar. Newer H17 have with 2 part tramp -- look it up in on-line H17 manuals. My H17 is old style and I just went through disassembling crossbars and installing a new tramp, so I understand your pain. If you are you are doing it single handed, it is a half-day exercise. I could not imagine doing it every winter.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to inspect what is going on in hull-crossbeam connection. In my case, all bolts were loose, and one spot in the hall pocket needed get-coating.

Is your tramp diagonal type? If so, it must be old. I saw some good deals on basic 2-part tramps out there, you may consider.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes it is diagonal and not in to bad of shape. The only thing that it might need is new Velcro for the flap that covers the laces. It is faded a bit but not as bad as many I have seen. I may replace it but I'll probably give it s couple seasons. I like that the wings match and don't want to buy both. I do wish it had pockets though I'm going to have to figure a way to work with that. As for winter I may just have to drop the boat off the trailer and onto the ground in the back yard to spread the load from any snow out to the entire hull unless I can find/make somewhere covered for it. I think the soap idea might work for now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it all apart, Thanks guys.