Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder assembly help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used 17 and I am attempting to attach the rudders. I have no clue where to start. The lower castings are installed. The rudders are attached to the upper castings and tiller tubes. The Cams are in the down position. What is the proper way to attach the rudders and upper castings to the cam? I have tried to hook the the rudders to the cams and slide them in as they are in the down position. It seems that there is a lot of give and the rudders easily fall off as I move the tiller(this is with out the rudder pins attached). This seems wrong the way it works? Is this normal until the rudder pins are attached or should this be a snug fit? Any suggestions. How tight of fit should the upper castings be attached to the cam/lower casting? If someone could point me in the right direction. I have no prior hobiecat experience as this is my first boat.

Thanks

Post subject: Rudders
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

The rudders normally stay assembled with the blade as part of the lower casting. The rudders bolt to the lower castings. The upper castings bolt to the back corner of the blades. The cam then can hold the upper casting in position to keep the rudder down or release to allow the rudder to rotate up (aft). The upper and lower castings then "nest" together to hold the rudder in the up position.

The cam should be "open" or hook facing up when the rudders are un-locked or up.

To lower the rudders you lift the tiller arm slightly. This allows the weight of the rudder blade to start the rudder moving down. You then push aft on the tiller arm till the rudder seats in the lower casting (down). Then quickly (before the rudder moves aft again due to water flow) lower the tiller arm to engage the cam. The cam is flipped over and locks the tiller arm and upper casting in place.

To raise the rudder, lift the tiller arm, which rotates the cam open, and pull on the tiller arm till the blade is up... lower the tiller arm / upper casting into the nested (up) rudder position.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like the cams need to be reset. Cam position can be a confusing aspect of the rudder mechanisim for first timers. (How it works is pretty un-obvious.)

I found an easy way to reset the cams (so hooks are pointing up) that does not involve marring the cams or detent plungers with a screw-driver, or loosening the cam adjuster screws:

Using a piece of 1/4" line, create a loop on one end, and the tie the other end to a hammer. Wrap the loop around the "hook" of the cam. Swing the hammer with just enough force to rotate the cam to the up position. Works like a charm. Now when you follow Matt's rudder down/lock procedure, the cam will toggle down locking the two castings together, securing the rudder.

Dan
2002 H17 Sport/SE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great!!! I got them working like a charm and took her out for a spin. Thanks for the help and advice. Next question is which side does each rudder connect to. The assembly manual specifies red=left green=right. I am not sure which is right or left? Could someone tell me if its starboard or port. I might assume red to port and green to starboard but can't be sure? Once again thanks for the help.

Post subject: Pretty easy to tell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look down at the upper casting while holdig the rudder the arm will angle left are right. Just make sure the arm is angling to toward the middle of the boat when you put the pin in. You will know REAL quick if you have them on the wrong way. You will get a lot of weather helm. All above relates if you have to Hobie 20 system and take the tiller bar off.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free" #007