Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FX One Mast Stepper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently put a mast float on the top of my FX One mast and have found it even more difficult to raise the mast when the boat is on the trailer. Any recommendations on how to best raise the mast?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Post subject: Re: FX One Mast Stepper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had the some of the same issues. It's almost one of those jobs where you need an extra person on a rope in front of the trailer to hold up some of the load...

Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43281

What kind of mast float did you use and how in the world did you install it? Been wrestling with this issue for several summers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could take the mast float off, sounds like thats doing you more harm than good anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi JJ,
I used the universal mast float from Hobie. The instructions were not at all clear! The mast stepper II comes with:
1. The float (which is quite large).
2. A rod that is attached to the mast by drilling holes in the mast and using rivets to attach. The rod sticks up above the mast and the float attaches to the rod.
3. The package comes with a few rivets and a couple of brackets to clamp the rod to the mast.

It didn't end up being that hard except for all the time it took to figure out what to do.

I attached the rod to the side of the mast which makes the float off center. So it looks a little strange... Not sure if it has much of an affect on handling/performance.

If you are interested I can post a photo in a week or so.

I didn't really understand the thread you posted about raising the mast, though it seemed overly complicated and the poster didn't seem to think it was a good solution.

Though I didn't mention it in my original post, I would like to be able to raise the mast just by myself without any help.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

get the cat on the ground with beach wheels under rear beam lay mast on step ladder and connect at ball put the pin in connect shrouds traps and have a line ready to draw tight from forstay to bridle get under mast on tramp and just shove it up draw forstay holding line tight to bridle and tie or cleat it off somewhere then jump off and complete forstay attachment.................it really is simple after the first time!
a few minutes more with the spin but worth it for the xtra fun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OR............................. if you really must do it on the trailer...........have the cat backwards on the trailer and use the mast support at the front of trailer to connect mast to ball.............then just shove it up!
Loved my FX 1..............was so much fun!!!