Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got this in parts last fall. Just brought it out and started putting it together with a friend. I raised the mast yesterday for the first time. There was no forestay, only a short lead. I connected a forestay to that. (appears to allow for furling). Upon viewing from the side the mast seems excessively raked with this forestay setup. I believe I have a shorter lead to replace the one that was on the mast? (shorter forestay - less rake).

I whipped up a down haul from some extra parts in my box. What baffles me is the front cross bar (foil?) I had it clipped on with the striker down. Once I sheeted in - the forestay pulled the cross bar into the inverted position and hovering in the air.

Is there suppose to be a bridle? The cross bar has me stumped. Any help would be most appreciated. Photos to follow.

to much rake it appears

Made up a down haul....

WHAT IN THE WORLD? I had this with vertical post down (Striker) but when sheeting in the main tight it did this. Ali -oop.

I have had a half dozen 16's, I have a 18SX and a Tiger and - ain't seen nutt'n like this before.

So Mast only had this.... 24"? leader with furling hardware. I attached a forestay I had laying around. Appear to get less rake I need a shorter lead. Or remove that lead. Likely the forestay wasn't used with a extension lead before. So - to long.

I have this too - appears shorter, but haven't measured to compare.

ORIGINALLY we clamped it down like this. Seemed ok, until sheeting in pulled it up and flipped it over. I hadn't liked the connection for the forestay as it was ribbing against the bar. Looks logical, but doesn't really lock in. I THINK This bar is suppose to help keep the bows from PULLING INWARD. If the bar lifts up and flips over there is no longer this outward support for the bows?
Following picture shows how we thought we'd lock it in place. (didn't stay) Providing I can lock this into this position. Are those two top mounting holes for a bridal line? Or does the bar eliminate a bridle line?

OK - looked ok, except for friction of forestay against the bar/foil.

Other end was typical. TIGER under wraps in background = )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For starters, that is not the stock Hobie bridle/bow foil system. It looks like it was taken from a NACRA. The bridle foil should be oriented so the dolphin striker rod is upward as you had in the fourth picture. This allows the striker to oppose the vertical force of the forestay (opposite of the dolphin striker on the front crossbar which is oriented downward to oppose the downward force of the mast).
As for the mast rake, it definitely looks like you have too much rake in the forst picture.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks - I had just found that out on Facebook. I photo they sent shows it on the nacra 5.8 and it's attached with chain plates. Not sure I'd need that as it would allow it to bounce around more when trailering. But I see that in the photo it sticks up. Now I just need to figure out how to shorten the forestay. Here's the photo I was sent.

Any reason I should use the chain plates? The cross bar mounts line up with my bow (bridle) connectors perfectly. So if I omit the chain plates it lines up and pins down 1/2 inch over the hulls. On the nacra photo the plates appear to be required because the bar looks to narrow to reach the attach points on the hulls.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is a manual for H17 sport:

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H17SportManual.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you will find there is a bridle that carries the fore stay. The function of the cross bar is to hold the bows apart - it deals with the compression load. There is no need for the dolphin striker. JackB is right, go to the manual, all is revealed.