Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capsizing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys
I am new to Hobie sailing and have just bought a 17 which I am having a lot of fun with. Is it normal to go through a stage capsizing a lot when learning to get used to sailing a catamaran. I have a lot of experience yacht sailing but sailing a Hobie is a lot different.

Post subject: Re: Capsizing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jack Tilley wrote:
Is it normal to go through a stage capsizing a lot when learning to get used to sailing a catamaran.

Yes - but you'll catch on quickly. You need faster reaction times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As a newbie, I have been told not to cleat the mainsheet if the winds are strong and/or gusting. I've had two experiences on bigger boats and I noticed they basically leave the sails alone and are not constantly playing them in and out like I was shown when learning the Hobie.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the information I will keep going and try to react quicker. I am also finding it easer when not cleating the main sale in so that i can deal with a burst of strong wind. :

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack, you may find in some gusts that you can not pay out the mainsheet and have it run through the blocks quick enough to deal with the gust and in that case you can quickly turn upwind which has probably saved me from 100+ almost capsizes over all the years.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks I will give this a go at the weekend and try to stay dry.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy, here we go.
So besides sheeting out the mainsheet....
If you are beating (going upwind), yes in a sudden gust, you can head up/turn into the wind/ begin to stall the boat to reduce the sideways pressure on the sails.

However, if you are running, with the wind to the side or more than 90 degrees behind the boat, then your answer is turning OUT of the wind and heading further downwind, even Dead Down Wind or DDW. Again, that takes the sideways pressure off the sails. In this manoeuvre, be sure to move your weight to the stern of the Hobie, and be very careful about sailing by the 'lee. The accidental gybe is not fun.

In racing conditions when running, we will also sheet in the mainsail traveler, which takes that sideways pressure off the main sail.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very good full explanation covering all the points of sail John, I only had time for a quick post to address beating. I am getting a little stir crazy..water too cold to sail and been too warm and no ice on the lakes so no DN activity.
Randy

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 17 sport that I dearly love. At 230 lbs I am too heavy for it but I LOVE it so much. Great boat. Point being, lingering aft of the tramp too long or making quick movements poorly executed can induce a capsize. If you're over 200 lbs, the conversation goes in another direction. I also have an 18 magnum that I race with no issues. But when I reach for the toy that makes me giggle it's always the 17.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I loved my 17's! Great solo boat.
I like my Getaway, especially with a boatload of people. But the 17 had a higher fun factor!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The above, all good advice, but if you are going for it and it is gusty, you will capsize periodically. Not to worry, capsizing is part of cat sailing. I've capsized dozens of times, once 3 times in one hour. In higher wind righting the boat is relatively easy, with the wind on the tramp. In lower wind it takes a little more weight and effort. Also don't let turtling freak you out as it appears to do to several others. Just make sure your mast is sealed tight (you will never be able to right a turtled boat alone with a mast full of water). I find in higher wind (20+ mph) turtling may be a better option than not. Once turtled you are on the most stable platform 'afloat', plenty of time to loosen the sheets, traveler and insure the hiking stick is not fouled. Then you can pick what side to raise, i.e. windward. 8)
NOTE: If you are sailing in waters <30ft, then turtling is not a good option and a bob may be needed.

Good Sailing