Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gree2056, for your stated druthers, a H18 would fit the bill. I sailed a H16 for 20 years and switched to a H17Sport in 2002. I love the boat and can push it much harder than the 16 without pitchpoleing (with the 16 I would capsize ~3-5x/season, the 17~once/season). However, I mostly sail solo, except in very high winds (25 mph or higher) when I add another body (I weigh 220 lbs and my crew ~120 lbs). I wouldn't ever want to put a third person on the boat except for bobbing around. About the set-up time, the 17 takes me about 10 more minutes on each end because of the wings and rudder cross bar. hope this helped, good luck. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whats so different about the rudder crossbar? Unless you are talking about the H-20 style connectors, which the new 16s have.

The remodeled 18 is called a Tiger, and the replacement for the 17 is the Fx-One. Which I hear can actually be sailed/raced 2-up with a jib.

If more people would own one in So Cal, that will be my next boat! (Replacing the 16).

Heheh I capsized my 16 twice last season, but that was because my crew didn't move back when she got out on the trap (That's why you don't capsize the 17 as much, because you don't have to worry about your crew!)

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My H16 was a 1979 where I upgraded the rudder crossbar connections with KISME-ITs and did not detach the crossbar from the boat for trailering. The crossbar on my 2000 H17Sport detaches and is stored with the sail so it takes me just a little longer to set up, thats all. It would take me about 30 minutes to set-up the 16 and it takes me about 40 minutes to set-up the 17. Maybe not the fastest, but in my book, fast only counts on the water. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I called my local 354 representative at the Beanpoles Of America Union and filed an official complaint.

Some of you will be receiving subpeonas :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got the 17 Sport and have been able to sail with 2 people without problems. However, I distinctly dislike taking the wings on and off each time I trailer - the poles holding the wings in place tend to stick inside the hulls and make removal/insertion difficult and time consuming. In retrospect, I think I'd prefer a model with "build in" wings or no wings.

Fleet 444

Post subject: Cold water
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adam:

The trick to the wing s cold water on the tubes. Carry some cold water in cooler. Pour on the tubes. Start at fron tand put your back under wing. Push up 6" Go to back, push 12", back to front and push 12" Then back should come out. Trick is cold water and a little at a time.

Doug