Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tacking
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,
I am finding it hard to tack in my 17 i just have a main sale. i have been told to jibe instead of tacking any tips on tacking please.

Post subject: Re: Tacking
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tacking the 17 is an art, but once mastered, it's really not that hard.

First of all, you need some speed - the rudders don't work unless there's water flowing over them.

Main sheeted tightly.

Gently carve into the turn (don't slam the tiller over and stall the rudders).

Uncleat the main, but don't let any out (yet).

Keep your weight aft and outboard (either on the wing or hull just forward of the rear crossbar) to help lift the bows around.

As the boat crosses head to wind, dive under the boom while at the same time, letting the mainsheet go and keeping the rudders over. Let about 4 - 5 feet of mainsheet out. (this is most critical)

You're now on the new windward side - make sure the mast has rotated (give the boom a shove if it hasn't) and start sheeting in slowly as the boat begins to accelerate on the new tack.

If the wind is up, get out on the wing as soon as you can, hook up and continue sheeting in while you go out on the trapeze.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good advice. I would add to that to over-tack a bit, get some speed up and then point up higher.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, good advice. BUT it is important to learn how to reverse tack the boat (or whatever they call it) if you get stuck in Irons. This is especially important if you are sailing in higher wind. When it's blowing, really blowing and the waves are up, I'm lucky to make half my tacks and jibes are too scary an alternative, so reverse tacks are used. There are times though when it is blowing so hard it is difficult to impossible to point high enough to even get into Irons, then a Bat Out Of Hell Jibe is the only recourse. I've had my most spectacular endo capsizes attempting BOOHJ's, but what a rush whether you make the jibe or not. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

soo what is the technique to back tack?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cavi wrote:
soo what is the technique to back tack?

when you get stuck in irons, reverse the rudder. When you're in irons you'll be going slowly backwards, so the rudders act in an opposite fashion. reverse the rudder until you're through the wind, then straighten them out and start sheeting in to get the boat to move forward again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Backing out of a tack (or "K" turning) is a necessary technique to learn on the 17. To elaborate on the above, you not only need to reverse the rudders, but you also need to aggressively push the sail away from yourself. In essence, you push everything away (rudders and boom). You need to uncleat the mainsheet and allow many feet of sheet to unspool. If you don't release a lot of sheet, the boat will stay pointed into the wind (I'm talking letting 2/3 of your sheet spool out). Once the boat is on the new tack, pull the tiller to windward and slowly start sheeting in. If you only straighten the rudders or if you sheet in too quickly, the boat will go back into irons and you'll have to start the whole process over.

sm