Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question 1. If my H17 came with both setup for SE boom and main as well as the Sport main. Is there a performance advantage to either one?

Question 2. I have a fiberglass non adjustable long tiller extension that also came with the boat. Im not looking forward to fiberglass splinters in my hands. What is the best thing to wrap them with. Some type of grip tape I'm sure but what?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

1) There's not an advantage that you would notice as a recreational sailor. The nice thing about the Sport set up is the lack of a boom (nothing to hit you on the head) and the simplicity (no mast rotator).

2) The ideal covering for a fiberglass tiller is heat-shrink tubing - and it's relatively cheap. You can order a 10' long piece in all different colors from here: http://www.heatshrink.com/heat_shrink_tubing/b2_spl.asp for about $12 + shipping. Or you can wrap it with hockey stick tape. This isn't rocket surgery.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The performance advantage of using the boom is that you can control mast rotation and outhaul setting, therefore you have more control of the sail shape overall. As Matt said though, if you're recreational sailing, it isn't going to make much of a difference and the ease of crawling under the sail without a boom attached is a nice benefit of the Sport setup (the boom on a 17 is low!).

Anyway, you have both setups so try both and decide for yourself which you like better.

Unless the fiberglass tiller is sun fried (it will feel prickly all over the surface), there is really no risk of splinters. You will probably want to wear gloves on your hands anyway.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Heat shrink wrap.....brilliant. THANKS!

In regards to the mast rotator arm. Is that ONLY used when using SE setup and boom. I can remove for sailing in Sport mode?
Trying to sort out the hardware from the SPORT to SE.

Thanks again.