Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp styles.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

H17 originally had the diagonal 2 pc. vinyl tramp. Any real reason they changed to a 3 pc? I have an opportunity to get a diagonal one for cheap just don't know if there is a reason they changed and should stay away.

Post subject: Re: Tramp styles.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Three piece tramps can be installed with the boat assembled (assuming you have the opening in the middle of your crossbars). The boat has to be fully disassembled to install/remove the two piece tramp. Although even with the three piece, it's still easier to slide the tramp onto the crossbars if you take the boat apart.

The three piece can be made tighter and it also doesn't have that velcro flap that runs across the tramp, so it's a little cleaner. The two piece tramps were only available in vinyl, so if you like a mesh tramp, you're out of luck.

Otherwise, no real reason that I'm aware of that they changed to three piece other than probably just trying to maintain consistency with the tramp design on the other models.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had both types, the original 3 piece and a 2 piece mesh from Sunrise Yacht Products (very high quality made in USA). Both have their merits. BOTH can be installed on assembled boats and available in mesh. The 3 piece needs an extra set of mid-line grommets to be serviceable IMO. It can be made very tight and a paddle can be stored in the center lacing. But the 2 piece is very nice, gives the boat cleaner lines, is more comfortable, and less ways for the sheets to fall in the water. Of the two types I prefer the 2 piece.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some of the originals were two piece, meaning one LARGE piece for the entire tramp and a small piece across the back to lace it up. I liked this the best.... but hella hard to install a new one.... I believe you need to remove one hull?