Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So Im still smiling from yesterdays first sail on my new 17 in 15 gusts to 18 knots under main and jib while ripping faster than I have in a long time in an absolutely controlled manner. I didn't even have to trap out, when does that happen? Its amazing how much more predictable and in control you are on the 17 in wind compared to my 16. SO...after the amazing few hours I sail back to the boat ramp, haul the boat and begin de-rigging. I start lowering the mast and forget (because on the 16 I never had to) to rotate the mast 90 degrees on the way down and I sheared the rivets in the mast base and it popped off. No damage to mast or base, luckily, and an easy fix but one of those thing you will do once and never forget. Hope all the newbies like myself read this before they do the same!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

oh wow, thank you for post. I could totally see myself (not) doing that. Hope to have a hobie 17 this summer!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I could also see myself do the exact same thing.
Fun to find a few other HC17 newbies here.
I picked up mine in Denmark last year and a complete overhaul is taking place right now
fixing leaking wing tubes and a lot of other stuff. Also converting the boat to a hobie 17 sport
with jib, furler, bow spreader pole etc...
I sailed 2 times in oct. and nov. and i still smile...

//Mats

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After nearly getting scammed off e-bay, I actually scored a 17 sport an hour from home on C-list. Pretty scary because dude insisted on cash, so, after some research, I did the deal in the Police parking lot (at his suggestion). Anyway, I see in the 17 manual here, you rotate the mast during set up, to catch the ring on top of mainsail. I hope to find a hobie vet to "show me the ropes", but Damn the torpedoes, we're goin' sailing! pics later when i figure out how

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are a couple situations during rigging / de-rigging where you need to rotate the mast.

The original post on this thread was in regard to raising and lowering the mast. When you raise or lower the mast you need to ensure that it is turned 90 degrees to the centerline of the boat (in either direction, it doesn't matter). This is because there is a notch in the mast base which allows the base to clear the dolphin striker post as the mast pivots up and down. If you don't rotate the mast, the mast base will bind with the dolphin striker or crossbar as it comes down and you will almost certainly break something and have the mast come crashing down. It's also important to remember to have the mast step pin installed when raising and lowering the mast as well.

The other time that you need to rotate the mast is when you are raising and lowering the mainsail. In this case, the direction you rotate the mast DOES matter. Rotate the mast in one direction to engage the halyard hook onto the halyard ring. Rotate it the opposite dorection to disengage the hook from the ring.

sm

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tx for info, Any other "oops" advice during rigging? gotta get off this internet and get 'er ready!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ScowHound wrote:
tx for info, Any other "oops" advice during rigging? gotta get off this internet and get 'er ready!

Not sure I should tell you this because I think it is something of a Hobie 17 right of passage, but the the first time you unknowingly shove one of the wing tubes into one of the hull sockets and and the socket is half full of water, well, let's just say you might be in for a little surprise.... :o

Actually I've been sailing 17s for more than 10 years and that one still gets me from time to time.

sm

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

too late! rofl. must've been in there a while too, phooooeeey :mrgreen: