Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, bare minumum I need to add a jib to my 17. Upper forestay, furler , crossbar and lower bridle(to hook to both pontoons), sail, and two cleats for the controll lines. What is the main forestay that goes from the top forestay spinner to the furler? Do I need a block up top and a jib halard also? Anything else?
Anyone have some nice picturs of the way everything looks?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie catalog shows all the specific parts for the Hobie 17 sport. The only 17 I've seen is the one I picked up cheap, for the trailer. It was a standard 17. Previous owner must have done some wave crashing on Lake Michigan, as one inner bow buckled horizonally. He probably had the boat overloaded. The tops of the hulls were delaminated and had been repaired also. You are leaving out the bow spreader in your list of parts. With the long bows, I could see them buckling without a spreader. So I have some parts for a standard 17, I'm in SE Wisconsin. I'll probably be cutting up the hulls soon. You may be better off just getting a Hobie 16 rather than putting a jib on a 17.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

cavi wrote:
ok, bare minumum I need to add a jib to my 17. Upper forestay, furler , crossbar and lower bridle(to hook to both pontoons), sail, and two cleats for the controll lines. What is the main forestay that goes from the top forestay spinner to the furler? Do I need a block up top and a jib halard also? Anything else?
Anyone have some nice picturs of the way everything looks?

Cavi, any progress in your converting job?? Pictures you can post?
I'm having the same dilemma as you. Converting with sail and parts are crazy expensive as i'm sitting in North Europe and the HC 17 never got popular here.

//Mats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Mats,

Above is a pic showing the parts you'll need to convert a 17 into a Sport. The coiled forestay and furling system are similar to what's used on the Hobie 18 and Hobie Tiger. The key piece is the bow crossbar. You need this to keep your hulls structurally sound. Without it you could crack or snap off a hull at the front crossbar when sheeting in the main. The other part is the boomlet. You really don't need this if you have a full length boom. You'll also need jib cleats (inside the pictured coil), a jib sheet (not pictured) and of course a jib (in blue above).

I bought a used 2001 Sport and converted it into a class legal racer. I subsequently sold this kit.
Hope this helps in your quest.

John B.
Hobie Wildcat #USA 413
Hobie 17 #6723
Commerce, Michigan, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you intend to sail the boat with more than one person on board, you pretty much need the boomlet. It is very difficult for two people to cross sides during a tack with the stock boom installed. The crew either needs to walk around the front of the mast, or wait for the skipper to go under the boom first and then cross.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

srm...

It's true the boomlet will make it easier to transition from one side to another with two people onboard. Was just sayin' that it's not that necessary just to go sailing.

JWC