Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,
What arrangements for the main downhaul is preferred on the hobie cat 17?
Do i just fix it after setting the trim up or do i work with it like the main sheet all the time (if needed)??
I'm new in this game and i just put up the main sail for the first time and realized some parts must
be missing. Help needed.

Secondly, i have two cleats on the upper part of the boom just above where it's connected to the mast.
What do i put in the different cleats??
Help needed.

//mats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best downhaul setup is a 6:1 system with exit blocks mounted on each side of the mast so the line can be run out to each wing and adjusted from the trapeze. You don't adjust the downhaul as much as you adjust the mainsheet, but you still want it to be easy to adjust when needed.

The two cleats on the top of the boom are (1) cleat for the mast rotation line and (2) stock downhaul cleat. If you set up the system described above, the second cleat isn't needed.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's not particularly clear, but here's the downhaul / mast rotation set-up on my boat:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
The best downhaul setup is a 6:1 system with exit blocks mounted on each side of the mast so the line can be run out to each wing and adjusted from the trapeze. You don't adjust the downhaul as much as you adjust the mainsheet, but you still want it to be easy to adjust when needed.

The two cleats on the top of the boom are (1) cleat for the mast rotation line and (2) stock downhaul cleat. If you set up the system described above, the second cleat isn't needed.

sm

Thanks for info. Question, how much do you work with the downhaul? What preferred settings shall I apply?
Any difference if going upwind or downwind?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
It's not particularly clear, but here's the downhaul / mast rotation set-up on my boat:

Thanks!
Do you know the brand of the exit block and cleat you have on the mast? Also, what rope diameter is your downhaul?
/Mats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The amount the downhaul is worked depends on the wind conditions. Light wind, generally just pull out the wrinkles and leave it. Stronger wind, you will pull on more downhaul until the point that the blocks bottom out. If the wind is uo and down, I play the downhaul as much as possible, but since there's only one person on a 17, there's only so much you can do. But certainly if I'm on the wire, I hit a puff and I have trouble keeping the boat flat, I will reach down and tighten the downhaul. And definitely different settings upwind vs. downwind. In almost all conditions the downhaul is fully loosened sailing downwind.

As for brand of exit blocks, there are several companies that make them, but Ronstan and Harken are the most popular. Line diameter is generally between 3/16 and 1/4 inch.

sm