Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello.
The back cross of my hobie 17 has broken in correspondence with the fixing bolt.
I found the crossbar of my old hobie 14 which almost fit perfeclty inside, cut two pieces of about 20 cm and riveted them t the crossbar
I think it should reinforce the crossbar and also I should not have galvanic corrosion.
What do you think of this repair?
I try to post some photos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After seeing the corrosion that can develop on these crossbars, I have done something very similar, riveting in a backing plate inside the ends of the crossbars where the bolts pass through. I have used thin aluminum sheet (roughly 0.090" thick) bent to fit the contour of the crossbar and I have also used a broken H17 crossbar as the backing plate material.

The front crossbar is definitely susceptible to cracking and corroding because there are several rivet holes as well as the slot for the dolphin striker all very close to one another. Over time, especially if you sail in salt water, that entire area of the crossbar will crack out.

On the rear crossbar, Hobie changed the size of the stainless steel backing plates that are mounted inside the crossbar ends. Old crossbars have much smaller backing plates (about one square inch) compared to the later boats.

So it sounds like the repair you made was a good one.

The picture below shows one of the plates I made that was riveted inside the front crossbar.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Gorniele/media/20170425_200514_zpsflywrxeh.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

All photos in link

Last edited by Jbernier on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed photo links to show properly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I didn't realize you meant you stuck the entire 14 crossbar inside the 17 crossbar....

I'm sure it'll stiffen up the area that cracked, just hope it doesn't create too much of a stress concentration (hard spot) where your "sleeve" ends and cause another crack to form. Also, what did you do with the original stainless steel backing plates that were inside the crossbar? I think there is risk of the crossbar bolt head pulling through if it is just bearing on the aluminum extrusion.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is not the entire crossbar but only two sections of 20 cm for each side. In my Hobie 17 there where not the backing plate but only two big washer, and one of them hai slipped before fixing the bolt.
This have caused the cracks. I will put in the washer this time.
In the spare parts catalogue i have find two "crossbar back up plate" code 17062560 and 17062570 but i dont have a pics of them and i dont know If they are big enough to cover the cracks so i have tried some DIY.
I hope they work. The problem can be the head of rivets in the sideof the crossbar that fit over the hulls.
[img][/http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Gorniele/media/20170425_200429_zpswo2koh47.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2]
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Gorni ... sort=3&o=2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is supposed to be a backup plate inside the crossbar. It covers the area about the size of the four rivets nearest to the bolt hole in your repaired crossbar (in fact, I assumed those were the same holes you used to secure your reinforcing tube). If you are seeing two part numbers for the backup plates, perhaps one is for the front crossbar and the other for the rear crossbar. The plate for the front crossbar also includes fittings for attaching the dolphin striker assembly.

I would definitely either put in the backing plate or figure out a way to put a large stainless washer in there to help spread out the load.

As far as the rivet heads are concerned, it may be a problem with assembling the boat. On the repair I did on my crossbar, I used countersunk rivets so they are flush with the crossbar surface.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is two code for the rear crossbar and two for the front crossbar, for left and right side, i think they are Made in composite but the italian importer for Hobie can't send me and image of them . For sure i will install a larghe backup plate, made from a big washer al least of 5 cm of diameter.
The countersunk rivets are a very good idea, thank you