Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there, I've searched a lot and can't find info on the size and material of the bearings that go in the traveler car, on the rail.

Can anyone help me with this info? Also if anyone knows where I can buy them from?

I found these, but I'm not sure if the size is right or not.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken-- ... gLQO_D_BwE

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have a Hobie 17 Sport from the early ‘90’s? The original Hobie 17 Sports were unique in that they had a Harken ball bearing traveler (Hobie only used the Harken system for a couple years). You will need to replace with Harken ball bearings. Your best bet is probably to contact someone like APS and they can probably hook you up with the right parts.

All other Hobie 17’s use a Hobie traveler car. Depending on the age of the boat the depth of the traveler track os different and will use a different car. The earlier travelers used small brass roller bearings and the later cars are a similar design but with a deeper track which accepts larger rollers.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Do you have a Hobie 17 Sport from the early ‘90’s? The original Hobie 17 Sports were unique in that they had a Harken ball bearing traveler (Hobie only used the Harken system for a couple years). You will need to replace with Harken ball bearings. Your best bet is probably to contact someone like APS and they can probably hook you up with the right parts.

All other Hobie 17’s use a Hobie traveler car. Depending on the age of the boat the depth of the traveler track os different and will use a different car. The earlier travelers used small brass roller bearings and the later cars are a similar design but with a deeper track which accepts larger rollers.

sm

Thanks for the info. I found one of the bearings, and measured it, it’s 1/4”, and I found out they’re delrin. So I bought 300 precision delrin 1/4” bearings on eBay and bought them.