Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found 6" long 1 1/4 square wood block inside the wing tubes of a Hobie 17. Believe they are cedar? Two had mostly disintegrated, are the blocks necessary? Why are they there?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not really sure what their purpose is/was. They are positioned above the deck when the wing is inserted into the hull, so I’m not really sure if they’re there for strength. I think they may be there to prevent the wing tube from kinking when the bends were put in the tube. In any case, they tend to cause a big problem if you sail in salt water because water will eventually leak into the wing tube and saturate the wood which will eventually cause the wing tube to corrode from the inside out.

On my boat, I pulled the wood blocks out of the wing tube. Then I put in an aluminum tube inside the wing tube. My internal sleeve is longer than the wood block so it actually overlaps below the deck when the wing is installed in the hull so it actually adds strength to the wing tube and prevents it from shearing off at the deck (I have seen this happen on more than one occasion).

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Admin

They should be at the deck exit point for loading... kink point.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Miller,
Are you saying they are needed. If so, does Hobie sell them? Where can I get them?

Regards
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

They were in there as original. Not an available part to purchase though.

1.25 x 1.25 Square x 6" Pine or similar installed 45 degrees to place load on the edge.

Looks like 8 1/4" in on the aft and 11 3/4" in on the forward tube. They span the full insert point to disperse bend / kink loads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mentioned this in my previous post, a better solution IMO is to use an aluminum sleeve in place of the wood block. Wood really has no place on a Hobie Cat, and especially not crammed inside an aluminum tube where it will soak up water, rot, and cause corrosion in the aluminum tube it is intended to reinforce.

You can go to onlinemetals.com and get a 3 foot section of 6061-T6 aluminum tube 1-5/8” OD x 1/16” wall for around $30. Cut it into four 9” long sleeves to slide inside the ends of the wing tubes. Position the sleeves so they overlap the deck when the wing is fully inserted and secure in place with a pop rivet through the wing tube. If you really want to keep the wings dry, you can also drill and tap a countersunk hole in the bottom of the cap at the bottom of the wing tube. Every so often, remove the screw to drain any water that’s accumulated.

sm