Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From under the boat with the board out, I can see where the spring contact has made a leak. My question: can I repair (without putting a port in the hull) by just removing gel coat and f-glassing a piece of graphite tape over the area of the leak? Maybe two layers?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's a pretty common problem. You've got the basic idea, but you need something with more abrasion resistance than carbon. I used 1" wide Kevlar tape (for strength) with a thin layer of glass over it (for abrasion resistance). Rough up the area really well, clean it with acetone and use epoxy to glue everything together. Be careful not to build up the area too much or else the spring won't fit well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my opinion, adding an access port is the way to go and it makes the repair very simple and guaranteed to be strong. Cut a 5" diameter port between the front crossbar and the shroud anchor bolt and you will have clear access to the top, forward edge of the trunk. Then simply rough up and clean the fiberglass using 80 grit paper and acetone. Wet out and apply several layers of 8 ounce glass wrapped around the trunk (I used 2" wide fiberglass "tape"). Done.

Better to err towards adding more glass rather than less. When mine cracked out, the hull probably ended up half full of water.

Adding the access ports also provides several advantages such as on the water storage, access for future inspections/repairs, and improved ventilation for the hulls. No real down side to doing it that way.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to both Matt and sm. I already have two ports, one forward of the front crossbar, and the other near the stern, so am reluctant to add a 3rd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt's (mb) technique seems to be working. Haven't sailed yet, but leak is fixed. I used ~1.25" wide Kevlar, cut material to shape, added extra layer as recommended, all with West System. How great it is to be part of the Hobie community that provides answers to problems within a few hours.