Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone had advice on rigging my spinnaker. When I get my boat off it's lift to go for a sail, moor it in shallow water because I don't want it to sit on the rocky beach.

I don't leave my spinnaker bag/kite attached to the boat when I'm not at my sailing spot. When it comes time to load the spinnaker in the trumpet bag, I am always doing a bit of a Laurel and Hardy act trying to get the snuffing line threaded and not have the kite fly away or have it slung by the head flapping in the wind.

I was wondering if anyone had advice or a video on rigging in a breeze. The only ones I've found online seem to be dead calm days.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Mot,
Sorry, i can't reply on your question (at this time...).
I just picked up a FX one myself and i'm trying to sort things out too. Had a hobie 17 for 2 years and had a blast, but FX one interest me more.
They don't come around much here too (northern Europe/ Sweden).

Maybe we can share experience as things move on.
/Mats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, sure thing. This forum doesn't seem to get many replies. I've spent a fair amount of time with the boat this year and have been doing some trial and error adjustments. Right now, I'm trying to adjust out a bit of a leeward-helm situation. The rudders don't have any rake adjustment and I don't want to drill them. I'm fiddling with mast rake. Hoping for a nice medium wind day to see how the boat performs powered up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have a bit of Lee helm you need to rake the rudders back a little or make rig adjustments to offset the helm.
With the adjustable upper castings you can make the adjustment to rake the rudders back. Probably a 1/4” chunk of neoprene in the lower casting will help keep it steady.

Are you sailing with a jib or just the main and spin? That will make a little difference on helm depending on trim of the sails.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even in a light breeze, life with a spin can suddenly become ‘interesting’.

My suggestion is that you choose a calm day, then rig the spin while you are on the lift.
Get a Sharpie pen and mark where your tie downs and knots must go.
In other words, ‘flag’ your ‘settings’ on you spin halyard.
You can also use pieces of ribbon.

On a weekend (or whenever), when you arrive at the Hobie, attach the tack to the tack line, attach the 'raise' end of the halyard to the head,
keep the spin bundled up in a ball, thread the ‘retrieve’ end of the halyard through the pulleys/sock/mouth to the clew,
and pull the retrieve line so the spin goes back into the sock. This may take two of you to do, and may require some practice.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies guys. I am sailing with just the main. I would like to add a jib kit to it but as yet can't seem to find one. I followed the rudder rake tuning suggestion for measuring and it looks like I can add just a pencil body thickness to the bottom casting to make the rake more in line with the tuning guidline. I can adjust the upper casting to compensate for that.

Thanks for the spinnaker suggestion. I was able to practice rigging it by putting it away more logically so that it doesn't need to be billowing around to get it snuffed. Thanks for that tip, it helped to map things out.

Cheers!