Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I have a few questions i'am going to put a spinnaker on a H17 sport and am wondering if anyone on here has done so. If so any advice or pics.

1. I have a pole 13' 6" long 1 1/2" diameter and 1/8" thickness. (Would this work?)

2. Question about mast what is it made of and how far down the mast should the spinnaker hound go and how should I mount it rivets or screws/bolts I was thinking stainless rivets.

3. I seen a couple (youtube) videos of a H17 with spin and super jib but don't know if it's a H17 mast or something different.

Thank you,
Brad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad
You need to mount a 'bail' about 18" from the top of the mast.
It all depends on the cut of the spin you are using, typically a H17 would use the smaller Tiger spinnaker, 19 sq m.
Google the instructions for the assembly of a Tiger, and you'll see the set-up there.

A 'bail' is a piece of s/s wire (or Spectra) that is suspended from that 18" mark, and usually goes all the way around the front of the mast...
in other words, there is a 'drop' of about 5" from the hole in the mast down to the bail.....
the bail allows for the upper halyard pulley to swing freely from port to starboard, so something like a 240 degree arc.
Go and visit a buddy with a Tiger or a WildCat or an F16 or F18 cat. Once you see it, you'll understand it.

It is SCARY to drill into the track of the mast....I have pictures....do you know how to post pictures? I am challenged in that area....

The next trick is to mount the spin pole.....possibly to the dolphin striker or more likely to the front cross bar. Another scary drilling exercise.
email me off line if you want pictures of how we did it.

If you've sailed with an asymetric before, you'll know the challenges - if not, enjoy your swimming, and remember to keep the mainsheet taut to act as a backstay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What material is the pole? If it is T6061 aluminum with 1/8" wall thickness, it should be sturdy enough. Length of the pole depends on how long the foot of your spinnaker is and where you will be sheeting from--if you don't have the spin yet, your sailmaker will make it right using the pole you have. You want to pull from your sheeting spot at about a 45 degree angle so the ratio of the leach/foot should be the same ratio as the distance from the halyard bail to sheet point and end of pole to sheet point.

I dunno enough about the 17 to know where to mound/bridle the pole.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I am using a HC 16 spi on my HC 17. I just scanned the instruction into a pdf, but I don't know how to upload it. Unfortunately the instruction had mold stains. But if you want I could send it to you via eMail.

Best regards, Felix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I just found this. Did you ever do this And if so how long did you make the pole? I have had a spinnaker on my Hobie 17 for several years with a 9 foot pole.
Thank you,
James

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is much easier to adapt an existing Tiger or H16 spinaker set up than build from scratch.