Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downhaul Photo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New sailor. I'm having trouble rigging the downhaul. Not sure I'm doing it right even though I followed a diagram. Could someone please share a couple of pics of theirs set up?

Much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Downhaul Photo
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends on how old your boat is and what hardware you have installed. The stock setup changed a little bit over the years.

The original design was a 4:1 purchase that tied off on one side of the mast base. The line went up to a double block on the mainsail, down to a sheave on the other side of the mast base, back up to the second block on the mainsail, and finally back to a block mounted at the center of the mast base and cleated off on a cleat mounted towards the front of the boom. (Sorry, I don't have any pics, but this should be what is described in the assembly manual.

In later years, Hobie eliminated the cleat on the boom and moved it to the mast. The cleat was pointed upwards, and there was a block above the cleat so you could pull down to tension the downhaul.

Most racers would install upgraded systems that had 6:1 purchase (three blocks on the tack of the mainsail) and two cleats - one mounted on each side of the mast - so the downhaul could be adjusted from the trapeze.

Post some pics of your system or provide a bit more description of what you've got and we should be able to sort it out.

sm

Post subject: Re: Downhaul Photo
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. It's an 88/89 with 4:1. Some of the diagrams I've seen have a pulley for when you come off the top before the cleat but I don't have that pulley. Not sure if it's supposed to have it and it was lost in the transfer or if my setup doesn't have it. I'll post a pic when I get it back together again. Was going to head out today but sadly there is no wind and threatening thunderstorms.