Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I've just picked up a H17 and it's in need of a lot of TLC! For starters the front crossbar has a huge dent in it, does anyone have an extra one for sale close to Florida or can crossbars from other models be used? I read a posting that the crossbar from a H16 can be modified to fit, any truth to that? I'm also looking for a set of sails, everything else is hull damage that needs to be fixed or swapped out for better hulls. The comp tip also has a crack that the PO fiberglassed over so I'll be looking for that and a mast base as well. I really hate to junk this one because I feel that even thou it's on the boarder of whether or not it should be trashed...I think I can save her.

Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The crossbars on the H17 are specific to that boat. A Hobie 16 crossbar will not fit.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm having a hard time tracking down a used one...might have to take the hit and order a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

POliver wrote:
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm having a hard time tracking down a used one...might have to take the hit and order a new one.
New ones don't exist, unless it's a dealer's new/old stock. Hobie hasn't made new crossbars in a long while.

I have one, but it's got a minor crack aft of the mast post, and it's missing the dolphin striker. You can have it for the cost of delivery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
I have one, but it's got a minor crack aft of the mast post, and it's missing the dolphin striker.

If the original crossbar is toast, you can cut an 8” long or so reinforcing “plate” out of it to span the dolphin striker post hole on the cracked replacement crossbar. The plate can be riveted either internally or externally to the crossbar. I’ve done this to repair cracked H17 and H18 crossbars. You can also drill a small hole in the end of the crack to prevent it from growing.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am wondering why a Hobie 16 crossbar will not fit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

rawand wrote:
I am wondering why a Hobie 16 crossbar will not fit.

It's not the same extrusion (different cross section), bent to a different radius (16 has much more curvature) and almost certainly a different length.

The extrusion section is the crucial part - the ends of the crossbar must fit precisely on to the "shoes" that are attached to the hulls at the outboard ends, and the crossbar must fit precisely into the saddle molded into the top of the hull. Otherwise, there will be stress concentrations that will quickly crack the extrusion, or worse - cause damage to the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are still looking, i have a h17 front crossbar with jib tracks, cars and dolphin striker.
North florida.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had several cracks in my crossbar from 1991 as well and I just received via my dealer in Germany a replacement.
Hobie Cat Europe offers a new front crossbar based on the HC 16 profile. This is the order numbers:

17062802 VORDERHOLM HC17 (HC16 PROFIL) € 816,50

It does not fit exactly. But there are exchange parts that replace the small black aluminium parts at the hull which takes the crossbar and they provide some polyester glue to line the space between the crossbar and the hull. The new crossbar already contains the downstand beam and mast bottom ball.