Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 17 Comptip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 87 Hobie 17. I’ve had it for 5 years now. I noticed this year that the mast seems to be bent in one direction. Seems to be at the comp tip portion of the mast. Also seems to be flexible throughout the mast. Haven’t noticed any of this before so I don’t know if this is something that has happened throughout the time I’ve owned it or if it’s been this way all along. I Moore it with the mast up with no protection for the comptip and have recently learned that I should’ve been protecting the top from uv all this time. Ive also noticed the boat seems to be underpowered the last couple of years. My question is: is it normal for the mast to be flexible and slightly bent? I’m considering buying another comptip. Any feedback is appreciated thank you.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 17 Comptip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie 17 mast is very flexible, but it should be straight. If the mast has a permanent bend to it, I would suspect that is occurring in the aluminum section. It could also be an issue that the comptip has loosened up where it is installed in the aluminim mast. It would be very rare for the comptip itself to take a bend, but if it did, you could try bending it back by using weights to pull it back straight. This would take a while, but eventually the fiberglass should be able to be bent back in the opposite direction.

I think the first thing you need to do is really determine where on the mast the bend is occurring.

sm