Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping container
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know if you can put a 17 in a shipping container without pulling it apart? Not worried about mast length.

Post subject: Re: Shipping container
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shipping containers are 8' wide and 8.5' tall. Interior measurements are slightly smaller. Extra tall containers are available at extra cost, but extra wide containers are very unusual (they cause loading problems). Could a Hobie 17 be set on its side or at an angle? I'm not sure as it seems rather unstable. Any shipping in containers I've seen are with the boat taken apart.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 am 
Site Admin

40 FT. STANDARD CONTAINER
Dimensions: Length Width
Overall 40' = 12192 mm 8' = 2438 mm
Internal 39' 5.25"= 12022 mm 7' 5.625" = 2352 mm
Door Opening 7' 8.25" = 2343 mm

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A follow up to the shipping container question.

I am interested in shipping a disassembled Hobie 16 from US to China, and would like to know the size of shipping container required. I imagine a fractional shipping container should be sufficient. Just wondering if anyone knows the cubic feet needed when shipping a disassembed Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

The mast would have to be disassembled (CompTip Removed) the over all length is 26 feet. The aluminum section is about 18 1/2 feet.

The boat packed in our boxes is 199 lbs 203x16x28 inches per box (takes 2)... plus the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't worry about the container too much. If you want to ship the mast in one piece, it's going to require a full container. If you break the mast in two, as Matt suggests, you're good to go in either a half or a full container. But you're not really talking a lot of weight here. Matt's saying 400 pounds total and that isn't much in a container.

Instead, I'd focus on seeing whether I could get the boxes from my local Hobie dealer. If I couldn't, I'd make two containers from plywood and 2 X 2 supports. One hull in one container, the other hull in the other. The balance of the boat (sails, mast, trampoline, rigging, and frame would be divided between each crate. You should be at about 250 - 300 pounds per container.

Realize that the hulls force special handling. You've got a lot of length to weight. Shipping charges will be expensive as a result.

Contact an international shipper who will then load your boat into a container with other small individual shipments,. For a good breakdown of shippers, take a look at https://www.easyship.com/blog/most-popu ... g-services

An international shipper will also be able to help you with customs, something that will create headaches you can't even imagine.. Anticipate a shipping time of at least three months. Further anticipate a major hit to the wallet. You're not going to get any discount for volume. However, US to China tends to be cheaper than China to US.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thank to both @jclarkdawe and @mmiller. I didn't even think about the custom issue. I assumed a Hobie would be treated as a personal item. I will talk to a shipper first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're right that it would go as a personal item.

Then again I once brought a horse over the Canadian border owned by the wife of the US Consul who was stationed in Ottawa and returning to the US. The horse had been bought in the US several years before they went to Ottawa, and when he got assigned to Ottawa they'd taken the horse with them. I told the guy it would be $300 to bring the horse over the border. He said it would be no problem and I'd be at the border for less than 30 minutes. He'd even go with me to make sure it went smoothly.

He gave me the $300 plus a $200 tip. This was due to all the time it took to convince customs that the horse was personal property. (Horses also need a vet check, which took me less than 15 minutes.)

I've seen customs go smoothly. But I've got enough horror stories to keep you up many, many nights.

Jim Clark-Dawe