Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings from Munich / Bavaria / Germany!

At first may i introduce myself: Living in Munich i fell in love with sailing since a few years. Starting point was a sailing course at the isle of Elba/Italy that had quite an impact on me!
After that i sailed quite a bunch of different dinghies, preferring the Laser because of its quickness and maneuverability.
Got member of a sailing club here at lake Starnberg and bought a Hobie FX One recently as lake Starnberg is a light wind territory and because of that quite a lot of my sailing mates prefer catamarans.

But now after having restored many things on my Hobie FX i am a bit confused how to set up the rigg tension and the mast rake. I read the Hobie tuning instructions and i know roughly what mast rake and rigg tension causes. No problem for example for me to adapt spreader rake and the diamond wires' tension with a newly bought rig tension gauge as i found parameters for that in the tuning guide.

I also know (from the Wildwind Joe Bennett videos on youtube) how to measure mast rake but i would urgently need a basic setting for mast rake and shroud tension for a crew of about 300lbs. I'm aware that these settings would be only a point to start with and that i have to experiment afterwards to get it fine tuned.

So if someone of you could give me maybe a basic setting for the shrouds (forestay as firm that i can sail with a foresail and shrouds as firm that the mast still rotates) and the mast rake for a 2 persons' crew in light wind conditions and just little waves i would highly appreciate it! And as i mentioned i have atension gauge to set up the cat.

Thanks a lot to you experts!

All the best,

Lorenz

Munich

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Lorenz,

I started on a HC 14 and currently still sailing a HC 17. I just one sailed once an HC 18 Tiger. So my advice does not comes from FX One experience.

I assume that the wave on the lake Starnberg is not very big, so there is no need to sail the boat with the mast much trimmed to the aft. (Sorry, I am German myself and I am not very good in the English terms.) So the tension of the rigg should be that mast is not wiggling around. I learned it that one sailor should pull on the trapeze to the back and the other one should tighten the shroud. Doing this on both sides.
After the trip, the shrouds should be released a bit to relieve the tension off the rig.

If you want to sail regattas, then an advice by a professional is what you need.

I hope this helps a bit. If you want to discuss more in detail, then send me a direct mail and we could do this in German.

Best regards, Felix

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1489760602

Did you have this tuning guide already ?

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Johan,

yes i know that tuning guide. But it is a bit inaccurate describing which mast rake would be good as a starting point for example for a crew weight of 300lbs. Also i have to have some good tension on the forestay i guess because we sail with a foresail. But don't know how much and how to measure.
Just hoped that anyone has a proposal regarding mast rake and wire tension of side- and forestay.

Thanks so far for your comments!

Best,

Lorenz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And by the way:

Does anyone of you FX One Owners have photos of the mounted foresail downhaul with the blocks, the mount on the foresail and the direction of the rope from the foresail to the trampoline?

Thank you all!

Best,

Lorenz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Figured it out myself -> furler jib = no downhaul ;)