Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my Hobie17 with a CompTip mast, the halyard hook at the top of the mast is pulling out. The top aft rivet is gone and the other two aft rivets are pulling away. I think I'll have to completely remove to epoxy repair the comptip, and install six new rivets.
Alternatively, if the top 3" of comptip were solid or otherwise strong enough, I consider replacing the three aft rivits with bolts through and nuts on the other side. Can the tip withstand that compression?
I am also concerned about sealing the mast air tight.
The parts diagram is not clear, pointing to entire comptip assembly. I need to know, what size rivets? Any other advise?
Please&ThankYou.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The halyard hook rivets pass through the halyard hook, through the fiberglass comptip, and into the aluminum mast head casting.

The holes in the casting have probably worn out and allowed the rivets to loosen up. You have a couple options. The first would be to remove the casting and epoxy some flat washers inside it where the rivet holes are and then reinstall the casting, hook, and rivets (3/16” diameter). I did this successfully a few years back on a H18 mast. The main risk is in removing the mast head casting from the comptip. It is a tight fit and you run the risk of cracking the comptip during removal if you’re overly aggressive.

Another potential option would be to just remove the loose rivets and drill out the holes in the halyard hook and the mast to the next size up (1/4” diameter) and put in bigger rivets.

Worrying about air-tightness is not a huge concern. There is a foam plug inside the mast below the casting to help keep the mast sealed. Just make sure you install the mast head casting and all rivets with a healthy coat of quality marine silicone caulk.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, rats! I ended up through bolting, with a small backer plate. The compression from tightening the nuts cracked the comptip. I'll go ahead and sail it to see if it fails. meanwhile, I am glad to have a spare mast.
Thanks for the advise, srm. Sorry I did not follow it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A split in the top of the comptip can probably be repaired. I had a similar issue several years ago that I repaired and has held up fine ever since. Inside and outside carbon patches over the crack and then wrap the very tip of the mast with multiple loops of carbon fiber tows to prevent the split from opening under load.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44683&p=189552&hilit=+mast+repair#p189552

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Of course, that means drilling out more rivets :( . Is the aluminum mast head glued into the comptip? I know you said it was a tight fit. I like your idea of wrapping the tip with carbon. I thought of a metal band.

Thanks again.