Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I know the post is old, but I just found it and it presents a very handy system to put such a righting bar on my HC16.
I wonder however where and how you attach the lateral cables underneath the trampoline?
Any picture would be of great help.
Xavier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This righting bar installation modification uses the Rick Whites Power Righter (I got mine from Murrays). Search for Rick whites power righter on the web and you will come up with videos of it in action and you can get the installation instructions which will help you understand how the lines are attached. I appreciated the OPs post on how he modified the system for his H17 since I used his process to get the pole to fit on my H18 which has the same tramp design issues as the H17.

Randy

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 17 sport that I have no problems righting. At 230 lbs that's not an issue. However I bought an 18 magnum last summer. I've been scared to push it too hard because I sail alone most of the time. With this system how much weight do you need to right an 18? Could it be done with my weight alone?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to preface the post with "a lot depends on your technique". I have watched one of my close sailing friends who weighs 150-155 consistently be able to right his H16 in all but the most severe weather with nothing more than a righting line for the past 30+ years.
In the earlier years with my first 18M 89-2001 I carried Murray's large righting bag since I either sailed solo or had my son beginning at age of four racing with me. It worked OK but took time to deploy and then store and the bag needed to be as full as possible. With the new boat in 2001 I choose to go with the Power Righter to speed deployment. The Power Righter is not advertised as a solo righting system and as such your solo success depends on technique. I use to weigh slightly (5lbs) less than you and was able to solo right my H18M about 70% of the time (I still carry the old large righting bag on the tramp as a backup). You must have the upper body strength to be able to get out to almost the end of the pole (and the pole properly angled upwards) while keeping your body out of the water and your bows orienated correctly to the wind. I am sure if the wings were not on the boat my success rate would be 90-95%...when capsized the weight of the upper wing is past vertical and the water resistance of the submerged wing slows the righting action, I also choose to forego a hobie bob because the extra weight on the top of the mast. Next Spring will be able to report back on how well it works now that I am 25+ lbs lighter.

Randy

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.