Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,
I´m considering buying a cat again after having been out the circus for many years. I used to sail the 16 many years ago and have a lot of experience with that boat and I´m also considering one of those. I will mostly be sailing solo but might also want to have bring a crew once in a while, I have tried to get more knowledge concerning the 17. I live in Denmark and we often have lots of wind and waves, I have heard that the 17 dont perform well in rough weather and that it is also under powered. Its a sport edition I´m looking at, is that still considered to be under powered? By the way I´m around 100 kg or 200 pounds which is fine for my Starboat sailing but is it too big for the 17?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie 17 does fine in rough conditions. One of the advantages of the wings is that in choppy water, you will be sitting and/or trapeezing higher off the water, so less chance to get sprayed and knocked around. The 17 is probably a little underpowered as compared to some more modern boats (like A Cat), but it still does ok. I am the same size as you, and you should expect to start trapping out in around 10-12 mph breeze. In 15 mph you will be consistently trapping the whole time.

The 17 was primarily designed as a solo boat. It does ok with a crew in light wind, but under stronger conditions the leeward hull will get pretty low in the water and the front crossbar will smack into waves.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your reply.

I´m looking at this boat:
https://www.dba.dk/hobie-cat-17-cat-der ... 058202846/

It´s quite cheap so there is room for upgrades, it looks like it has no spreader bar so that will be something to look into asap. The wings are very much why I tend to go 17 and not 16, the 18 Magnum and 21 is super rare over here. I´m looking at a 21 that hasn´t been on the water for a decade but the owner is nowhere to be found.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had 2 17's. The first one I bought new, the second was very used (to the point of being thrashed!). I'm 200 pounds, and as a solo sailor, the boat would haul me and another adult just fine. When my kids were small, the boat was big enough for all of us, but as they grew, it wouldn't handle us all.
As far as being underpowered, I thought that in light to medium winds that it was. But in high winds, it's great! Which, for solo sailing is probably what you want. I'd be out by myself or with one kid when the winds were howling, and we'd be in the trap, flying a hull, blasting down the lake, watching the H16's flopping over right and left. So I think it's appropriately powered.

Too many canoes and kayaks