Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a 17 that was in worse shape than I realized, in part because I didn't then know what to look for and in part because I took what I could find here in Colorado.

- Both decks are soft in the trapeze area.
- The center tramp and both wing tramps need to be replaced.
- Last fall with the mast up the wind actually flipped both boat and trailer, which folded under the wing tubing on one side.
- The sail is pretty much all delaminated.
- When sailing on a reach in a breeze with my weight (180 lbs) back on one wing the platform twists. The windward hull is stern down while the leeward hull is bow down.
- I haven't checked the hulls for softness, but I assume there are problems.

I suspect that I may be able to reduce the platform twisting if I take the hulls off the crossbeams, which I would have to do to replace the tramp, however, if I add up all the problems and the cost of tramps and a new sail, I wonder about the future for this boat. I live on a relatively small lake, but the boat's still more fun than anything else that's easy to find for a single sailor, but the boat is not what it should be. Hull repairs sound fairly difficult, add weight and have an uncertain outcome. I'm not even sure I can even find a replacement for the crushed wing tubing. Right now I took both wings off and sealed the tubes in the hulls with tape, but that limits my options if the wind comes up.

So, what should I do?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Honestly, part it out and use the funds to get a 17 with solid hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree that the boat sounds to be in rough shape. I wouldn’t put a lot of money into it. That said, you already have the boat, so why not try to use it?

For sailing on a lake, the wings probably aren’t really necessary. If one of the wings is damaged, just sail without them (at least until you find a replacement). Same goes for the sail- if it’s usable, then use it.

The damaged deck can probaby be repaired at least temporarily by injecting epoxy and/or adding reinforcing bulkheads. Epoxy injection is very easy. Adding bulkheads would be a more advanced project.

http://www.w1dm.com/Projects/HOTLINE/09-07-08%20HOTLINE.pdf

Frame stiffness (or lack thereof) is probably due to either the corner castings being loose (very common) or the ends of the crossbars being cracked. You will need to take the boat apart to inspect. Disassembly is a matter of simply taking out 4 bolts (get yourself a 1/4 T-handle hex wrench).

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The suggestions span what I had considered - and beyond. The bulkheads are probably more effort than I'm ready to invest. If I really am just sailing it, I can continue to avoid the tear in the main tamp and try to ignore the other problems. There are cracks in the gel coat along the inner and outer edge of the decks, so I think I could do a lot of work, spend way more than I could get back and still not have a great boat.

If I could find a used starboard wing I would buy that and maybe a used sail in good condition, or maybe a non-legal new sail for a reasonable price. It does kind of bug me how bad the sail shape is, although I might be able to help that some by working on the trim and tuning.

While our lake is not that big you can get about as much wind as you can handle on it. Colorado can be very windy, or not. On this boat I've only been hiking on the wing as far back as I could go with the sail luffing a little, while my nephew, I claim, almost pitch-poled it while on the trapeze. I have been on the trapeze without the wings and that works fine. A little hard to get aft as far as you would like and no hiking straps is slightly weird off the trapeze. I'm also somewhat paranoid about capsizing this boat. I guess I should at least carry the righting bag with me. By the way, on my wings there are toe straps on the angled section at the aft end of the wings. Is this standard?

I'm also considering sailing the boat with just the port wing, but I'm not sure if I can talk myself into that - based only on how it would look. I'd have a better chance of luring my wife out on the boat if she has that to sit on though.

A great 17 at a reasonable price would be perfect for me. Maybe easier to talk myself into if there were any interest in the parts of this one that are still good. Of course the parts I don't have are the ones people would be interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are 2 H17s and a H17 mainsail for sail on this forums classified ad section right now.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 17 that appears to be in good condition. Hulls are very solid, no soft spots. I have never sailed it because the comp tip on the mast was broken while the boat was in storage. If you are parting your boat out and the mast is in good shape I would be interested. Or I am willing to send you pictures of my 17 if you may be interested. I spend most of my sailing time on my Hobie 16 but have always wanted to sail a 17 to compare it to the 16.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went for a sail yesterday and had a great time. Trapping without the wings worked fine. I suppose the righting moment is similar to sitting on the wing and hiking. I weigh 175 or so and when the wind picked up I was on the trap a fair amount and did spend a little time flying a hull while fully out with the inside telltales fluttering. This was as whitecaps were starting to show up. And, I guess this is about my ideal at this point. As the wind gets stronger it starts to feel more like survival mode for me.

I see I can buy a used sail, but a year or two ago I saw an ad for a non-Hobie sail that claimed to be an improvement and, as I remember, was about $1K. Any feedback on the trade offs going this way?

Another option is a bit sacrilegious, but you can maybe buy a slightly obsolete carbon fiber A-cat with the c-shape dagger boards that resist pitch-poling (but don't fly) for around $7500. Lighter, newer and faster and the carbon boats are supposed to hold up pretty well. With 150 sqft sail area and about a 29ft mast vs 168 sqft and a 27ft 9in mast height, keeping the A-cat upright might not be too much harder. It seems the modern designs tack easier too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You might want to take a look at the 17 I just posted for sale. Check out NONO-SAILS in the classified sailboats for sale. Great boat and everything works. I have to find the two traps. I saw them in a bucket of gear several months back. Take a look.