Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe the small FX One community has some advice for me regarding fibreglass work on a FX One.

Last year i put accidentally stress on one of my hulls by trying to get it off my trailer alone. Reason was that my trailer has some (at least for the FX) inconvenient rubber rollers on which the hulls should slide off the trailer. But the edges of these rollers poke into the hull as soon as they get to the middle of the hulls where the hulls are widest (i have to get rid of these rollers but that is another story).

Last time i pulled the cat over these rollers i heared some cracking noise out of the right hull. I couldn't find any damage when inspecting the inner bottom side of the hull afterwards but now i'm thinking of reinforcing the hull over the whole length with tailored fibreglass mat pieces.

Is there anywhere a manual how to do that properly - how many layers, which mat material, which work ahead, how should i work around the bulkheads/stringers? In general a good or bad idea?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Best,

Tricky Dicky

Germany/Munich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First thing I would do would be to determine if the hull is actually damaged. Otherwise, you’re doing a lot of unnecessary work (assuming you also fix your trailer so it stops stressing the boat).

I would take the boat off the trailer, flip it upside down, and carefully inspect the hull in the suspect area - visually check it and also press on it firmly to see if there is any excessive flexing or crunching sounds. You could also add an inspection port in the deck to take a look at the inside of the hull.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, i'll do that first.
Getting access to all the sections in the hull for grinding will be a hazzle. Especially round the stringers and under these built in foam floating aids. But i'll try as i bought the material for reinforcement anyway.