Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe interesting for anyone who has to move his Hobie over longer distances (in my case from a land berth to the lake and back) on a slip cart or has trouble moving his cat alone, especially out of the water, across a beach or up a hill.

As i had to embrace the situation last year that my land berth directly on the Starnberger Lake (Germany/Bavaria near Munich) was relocated inland and i had suddenly to push my FX One 200m up a hill to get to my berth i decided to look for an electric mover. But as buyable finished solutions weren't in my budget i decided to build one myself.

It should have big nobby tyres so the mover wouldn't have to struggle with the wet slip ramp and gravel afterwards. enough battery power so that i wouldn't have to care about charging too much, enough torque and a suitable motor controller for controlling speed.

That is the outcome after one winter (2020 to 2021) of thinking, welding, riveting and soldering. The basic piece is a used drivetrain with a 800W/24V brush motor (similar to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/163158589605?hash=item25fd0280a5:g:67IAAOSwd0BVr19x), probably from a golf cart (got it from Ebay Classifieds).
I built an aluminium frame around it, drawbar is from an old Hobie slip car. All the electronics, fans for cooling and batteries (2x 12V AGM battery) are mounted into a casing for e-outborder batteries.
The mover can be dismantled in 3 pieces for easier transport and can be connected to the slip cart (consisting of 2 combined 1 axle Hobie slip carts) with a customary trailer hitch.

Runs good so far, more than enough power and traction. An improvement will be a throttle to control speed instead of a knob.
All in all this project might be an inspiration for everyone with the same needs (handling his cat alone/over longer distances between water and berth) not wanting to purchase a ready to go solution (here in Germany a dedicated beach cat mover is only available from one single company, almost custom built and costs about 4000€)

Greetings from Munich/Giesing

Tricky Dicky