Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the past few years I have noticed that my left hull gets more water in it than the right. So I decided to find the leak and fix it. When I removed the crossbars I noticed a small puddle in three of the end cap saddles, but not in the left hulls rear saddle. I put water in that saddle and slightly pressurized the left hull. Sure enough there were bubbles. I removed the metal end cap (3 screws) and found the bubbling was coming from the 2 holes that the guide pins fit into. I reamed out what appeared to be a silicone sealant and the holes now appear to be about 3/8 inch wide and about an inch deep. After letting the holes dry out, I poured some fiberglass resin into the holes to mend any cracked fiberglass there may be, and help seal the leak, but not enough to cause any blockage of reattaching the metal end cap. My question: What would be the best product to reseat the metal end cap with? The two options I’m considering are; 3M Marine 5200 – a marine adhesive sealant (similar to silicone, but stronger) or SuperMend – a marine 2 part epoxy (similar to other epoxies, but not brittle). Each claims to cure without shrinkage and used above or below the waterline. :?:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well the stone has been cast, I elected to use the 3M Marine 5200 for its superior sealing properties. Only time and a bit of sailing will tell if I made the right choice. My first venture out this season will be a week from today. 8)