Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JJ,

thanks for the advice. I am 2 1/2 hours form my nearest Hobie dealer, and frankly, they are idiots. They have wasted so much of my time I won't even use them. However, I am getting pretty comfortable stepping and lowering the mast with my winch with one set of helping hands, which can even be my 100lb. wife.

This is due to the practice I"ve been getting thanks to luff track problems I"ve been reporting on on another thread.

I did use the step-ladder method and it helped a lot with the stepping.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to hear about dealer probs.

Quote:
However, I am getting pretty comfortable stepping and lowering the mast with my winch with one set of helping hands...

Yep, the helping hands plus winch works. A combination of mechanics and helping hands eases the process.

However, my wifely "helping hands" get distracted too easily. For example, a cell phone going off. So it goes -- Hey, I have a call, can you pause mast stepping for just a minute? DO NOT YELL AT ME, DEAR! ...

Glad to hear you have some resolution, though.

That is really good video to see, Adam!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The question about mast rotation, in all of the confusion, was never answered. I suspect that a good bungee from the mast rotator to the striker bar would do the trick, or maybe a short piece of rope.

I'll buy raising the mast with the halyard on a 17, using the trap wires to maintain stability, but on the FX, I think that with the extra weight of the mast, the halyard would be questionable at best. I use my trap lines to winch the mast up, but I stand on the tramp to guide it while someone else cranks the winch (which is at the top of the front mast support). I'm actually thinking about attaching the second set of trap lines to attach to the corners (or jib traveler or whatever) so I don't have to lift the mast the first few feet and stabilize it.

I made a tripod out of 2x2 lumber, but it's pretty unstable. It does, however, support the FX mast. I really need to find a good commercial metal tripod to use, and then install a rubber roller with side guides so I can slide the mast back when I put the mast base on the ball and pin it. I'd be interested to know where one might be found. I really dislike stepping the mast on the FX, not only because it's heavy and awkward with the spreader wires, but because the tramp is so loose. And at 62 I've had enough mast-stepping for one life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FX293 wrote:
I really need to find a good commercial metal tripod to use, and then install a rubber roller with side guides so I can slide the mast back when I put the mast base on the ball and pin it. I'd be interested to know where one might be found.

See link below:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407160-REG/On_Stage_LS7805B_Power_Crank_Up_Lighting_Stand_.html

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aschaffter, what is the total length of the pole?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lambini wrote:
Aschaffter, what is the total length of the pole?

Thanks.

Boy this is an old thread! :o Luckily I am still enrolled here!

Mast crutch support channel (came with trailer) = 56" (from top of trailer tongue to bottom of "V" cradle)
Extension pole (relatively lightweight steel fencing pole from Lowes) = 49"

Locations of pivot and clevis pins, etc.
Pivot pin (3/8" bolt) hole in crutch channel= 7" down from the top; pivot hole in extension pipe= 1" from end.
Clevis pin hole (used to keep pole vertical) = 1" from top of mast crutch channel
Pulley and extension pole stay = 1" from end of pole

'86 H16, Sail #89057

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Perfect! Thank you very much for the measurements. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for posting pictures How long is the fence post?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wanasail wrote:
Thanks for posting pictures How long is the fence post?

49"

'86 H16, Sail #89057

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aschaffter, are you still using the setup you described on page 1 of this thread? Have you had any problems with the spring clip for the pole stabilizer (at the trailer chains) or the cast hardware store pulley? I just saw this for the first time, and cringed, because the loads being put on those parts with such high angles are pretty extreme. I admit though, I do tend to build in ridiculous safety factors.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dorienc wrote:
Aschaffter, are you still using the setup you described on page 1 of this thread? Have you had any problems with the spring clip for the pole stabilizer (at the trailer chains) or the cast hardware store pulley? I just saw this for the first time, and cringed, because the loads being put on those parts with such high angles are pretty extreme. I admit though, I do tend to build in ridiculous safety factors.

I haven't had the boat in the water in two years, but it worked great before then. The spring clip is marine grade the cast pulley is heavier duty than it looks in the photos. The temporary crutch, visible in the next-to-last photo (8" wide piece of plywood with one edge rabbeted so it fits in the main sheet traveler track) reduces the initial angle so the strain is not that great.

'86 H16, Sail #89057