Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I trailer my H17 Sport and so have to remove the wings several times each day I sail. This is difficult and requires a unpleasant and time consuming dance of wiggling the insertion pole on one side of the wing, moving it up a few inches and then doing the same thing on the other side of the same wing - many times it sticks multiple times along the way and requires undue force. Sometimes it's stuck so firmly that I have to place a piece of wood beneath the horizontal section of the wing and use a hammer to move the wing up or down until it moves more easily. Is there a secret that I'm missing here? Anyone else hate the wings removal process as much as I do? Any ideas? Anybody using some kind of lubricant? What lubricant would be safe on the hulls?
thanks for your help,
Adam

Fleet 444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Make sure that the wing and socket are completely clean and be religious about not letting dirt and sand get into them.

Use McLube Sailkote

or silicone spray liberally on both the socket and the wing.

If they are still too tight, you can take a small (1 1/4") drum sander on a drill bit extension to *lightly* sand the inside of the tube to remove the roughness. Flush well with water when you're done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you, MBounds.

Fleet 444

Post subject: Cheap solution
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A very cheap solution is to carry small bottles of cold water in a cooler. before you get ready to remove wings, pour cold water on the tubes. Start at the back with your back under the wings. Push up 6", no more!! Move to front and push up 12". no more. Then go to the back and pull the wing out, Once you get this down it will work great. Every now and then I need a little silicone spray.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Post subject: wing removal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently got a used 17 and encountered much the same problem. My solution was to squirt a little dawn dishwashing detergent into the tubes before I insert the wing and then after sailing do it again when changing the wings to trailering mode. It seems to work well, it's cheap and it has so far cut down on the funk level of the water that squirts you in the face when you seat the wings prior to sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Dawn has a tendency to get gummy over time. (You should see what it looks like when it freezes - like the bottle in my garage right now :shock:) Periodically scrub the tubes out with a bottle brush and flush with plenty of water. Scrub the wings, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Dawn has a tendency to get gummy over time. (You should see what it looks like when it freezes - like the bottle in my garage right now :shock:) Periodically scrub the tubes out with a bottle brush and flush with plenty of water. Scrub the wings, too.

If you sail a 17 like I did, scrubbing Dawn out of the wing tubes would not be something to worry about! :lol:

I think the key for me was keeping the grit out of the tubes. Every time I laid a wing on the ground, I'd have trouble later. Cleanliness is next to removeliness.

Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dawn doesn't freeze down here in Florida and the boat gets so wet that it washes out pretty quickly. I echo the comment "cleanliness is next to removeliness" truer words were seldom spoken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

markpreston wrote:
I echo the comment "cleanliness is next to removeliness" truer words were seldom spoken.

I don't know... "Racing's over. Free Cold Beer" seems pretty truest to me. :lol:

Brian C

Post subject: Trick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trickto removing wings is ALWAYS carry some cold water. Pour some on the wing tubes when you come in. With back under the wing, start at back and pus up 6" NO MORE!!! Then go to font and push up 12" NO MORE!! then tack this back out. Used this for 6 yrs and it works.

Doug Snell