Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

COsailer wrote:
PS: Am I right in assuming the top of the jib is connected to the short forestay/pigtail before raising the mast then connect the bottom of the jib to the furler to keep the mast up?

Yes....there should be a swivel (for furling) on the lower end of the short forestay/pigtail (as in mmiller's pic) to which the head of the jib attaches.

Also (as mentioned above), the rig (shrouds) should be tight for sailing, but heed flatlander's advice to to loosen it up before attempting to raise/lower the mast. (It's nigh impossible to do either with the rig tight.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had the mast and sails up the other day. The home made short forestay caused a problem. It is too short! Unfortunately, it is swaged (probably not the right spelling) permanently to the swivel. This made it hard to get the mast up. there was no slack anywhere and even when up, I couldn't get the stays any tighter. The rake is almost exactly vertical. I have a single plate 10 hole adjuster that I was going to put at the top of the furler. Question is: How does the adjuster attach to the forestay in the jib? Does it just lay on one side of the jib forestay and get attached with a shackle?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

COsailer wrote:
The home made short forestay caused a problem. It is too short! Unfortunately, it is swaged (probably not the right spelling) permanently to the swivel.
It is supposed to be short and permanently attached (see in photo of mmiller's post)
Is it about 12 inches?
Quote:
there was no slack anywhere and even when up, I couldn't get the stays any tighter.
My apologies if this is a stupid question.
Did you have the side stays pinned in the very top hole?
Quote:
I have a single plate 10 hole adjuster that I was going to put at the top of the furler.
The single plate adjuster goes at the bottom of the jib and attaches to/through the center of the furler.

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The main shrouds are on the last hole. I see that the Hobie upper forestay for the turbo is approx. 10" and with the swivel that would make it around 12". I have what looks like an original Upper forestay but it's 7". The homemade one is attached to the swivel. It's even shorter(6 3/4"). When I hook up the 10 hole adjuster to the furler and jib headstay thimble, do I just lay the adjuster to one side of the thimble and shackle them together? A clevis pin would just go through the thimble.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

COsailer wrote:
do I just lay the adjuster to one side of the thimble and shackle them together? A clevis pin would just go through the thimble.

Quote:
The main shrouds are on the last hole.
Good
Quote:
I see that the Hobie upper forestay for the turbo is approx. 10" and with the swivel that would make it around 12". I have what looks like an original Upper forestay but it's 7". The homemade one is attached to the swivel. It's even shorter(6 3/4").
Ah-hah
Quote:
When I hook up the 10 hole adjuster to the furler
DO NOT do this.
Attach the head of the jib ("jib headstay thimble") to the furler with a shackle.

From my previous post
Quote:
I have a single plate 10 hole adjuster that I was going to put at the top of the furler. NO
The single plate adjuster goes at the bottom of the jib and attaches to/through the center of the furler.

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Flatlander,
What I don't understand is how to attach the single plate adjuster to the jib. The adjuster has to go up one side of the jib or the other and I need something to attach it to the jib headstay thimble. Correct? Then the adjuster attaches to/through the center of the furler as you stated. I do get that. I worry a bit that the adjuster will rub against the jib and wear a hole in it.

Stay with me FL! I'll eventually get it. Keep trying to teach me please.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The tack (front/bottom) of the jib has a thimble

Put the hoop of a shackle through this thimble

Put this shackles' pin through the hole in either end of single, 10-hole adjuster plate, and secure to shackle

Now this single plate is dangling for the tack of the jib

Step the mast, "thread" the adjuster plate through the center of the furler and pin it

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am happy that you stuck with it. I finally understand. That's about what I envisioned. It's hard to describe what I'm thinking being such a novice. I'll have to experiment with furling the jib with that shackle in place but in your experience, do you think I can furl the jib with the shackle on the adjuster or will I have to remove it?

Thanks again, You, Rattle and Hum and srm are the best!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

here's a link to CO catamaran sailors
http://www.rockymountaincatamarans.com/
they're all as helpful as any of us posters here

I'm certain they'd be excited to meet you a local lake, answer all your questions and share pointers

Sheet In, Max Out