Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks, Matt M in particular LoL. The very well-used sails on my '85 Hobie 14 Turbo are pretty threadbare with pinpoint holes starting to pop up everywhere. I'd love to keep the same sail pattern which in the brochure was called Tsunami. Basically turquoise for the bulk of the top of the sail and the bottom panel with stripes of mauve, navy, turquoise, navy, mauve in like the second & third panels. I'd be happy with any of the variations such as the sail where the turquoise is swapped with the mauve. Any suggestions? Don't think the pattern has existed from Hobie since about 85 or 86 ... any way to get a custom sailmaker to craft something similar? I don't see a lot offering turquoise as a sail colour, just light blue or dark blue. I'd love the sail to match the original striping which is still on the hulls. Thoughts? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The “striped” panels from that era were made from fabric that doesn’t exist anymore.

I think you have two options: (1) choose from available sail fabric colors to design a new pattern using different colors on a panel-by-panel basis or (2) if you REALLY want the stripes, explore whether they can be replicated by some kind of custom fabric printing. I have no idea if there is such a printing service even exists and whether it’s cost-effective.

I would think you could design a beautiful new sail and Hobie’s sailmakers will make you happy for many years more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dookie wrote:
The “striped” panels from that era were made from fabric that doesn’t exist anymore.

I see 4oz colored dacron at both Sailrite and Sailmaker's supply. I've made dinghy sails with it before. Sailrite does list it as for a beachcat - is there any reason the 4oz fabric would not be suitable for a H16?

I realize they don't have the colors the original poster is looking for, but I suppose I'm more asking for my own information.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric/Sailcloth-Fabric/Fabric-Material/Polyester~100-PCT-/pricelevel5/12.50to17.00/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I should add, Hobie will make custom sails with your choice of colors for a reasonable cost over stock. There are other 3rd parties who make sails but Hobie uses a heavier sailcloth and the quality is second to none. Ask your local Hobie dealer to get you samples of current available color choices and make yourself a new beautiful sail. If there’s nobody local, I’ve had great experience with West Coast Sailing in ordering a custom sail for my boat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions folks. Much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you checked with Whirlwind Sails?

They built me a great new jib sail for my 21SE and the best snorkel cover I have ever seen out of Sunbrella.